The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Chestnut Friesian (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/chestnut-friesian-124179/)

csimkunas6 05-21-2012 08:21 PM

Chestnut Friesian

Came across this horse/site today.....a Chestnut Friesian, how neat!

The Magical World of Dancing Horses - Friesians

Just thought I would share ;)

Chiilaa 05-21-2012 08:27 PM

I want one. Theoretically, we could line breed with his parents and siblings since we know that each parent has a red gene, and get a line of chestnuts... Oh god how I want a chestnut friesian!!

Roperchick 05-21-2012 08:32 PM

Love his coloring!
But technically isnt he not allowed to be registered as a friesian since i believe they require black coats with next to no white for registrations....but i could be wrong.

Skyseternalangel 05-21-2012 08:35 PM

He's beautiful! :)

Chiilaa 05-21-2012 08:36 PM

The ad says he is FHANA registered. Maybe they are just keeping up with the times and allowing all genetic possibilities? I don't mind. If he isn't registered I will take him off their hands and start a new registry - SHRFAA - Super Hot Red Friesian Association of Australia.

csimkunas6 05-21-2012 08:38 PM

I read something about how the black genes, for Friesians anyways have carried the red gene since the breed was started. I personally like the red better than the black, but thats just me :D

Chiilaa 05-21-2012 08:43 PM

I would say, just at a guess, that about 99% of Friesians today are EE, so homozygous for black. Then the other 1% are Ee, and carry red. In fact, the numbers are probably even higher in favour of EE to be honest. This boy was just a lucky dip. I would start testing all his full and half siblings though, and their get too. Chestnut Friesians could be the new "in thing" lol.

HorseLovinLady 05-21-2012 09:07 PM

Gorgeous horse!!

Joidigm 05-21-2012 09:47 PM

My instructor recently traded for a red FresianxAzteca mare. BRIGHT red, very pretty. If I remember correctly, it can occur naturally within the blood line, but comes out very commonly in crosses since Fresians are not all homozygous black.