The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Girth Materials? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/girth-materials-124199/)

SunnyK01 05-21-2012 10:51 PM

Girth Materials?

What material do all you endurance pros prefer your girths to be made of? I have always used the classic hunter style leather girth with the elastic end, but I am wondering if a mohair, neoprene, or fleece lined girth would be more comfortable for my mare as we start doing longer distances. She completed her first 15 mile ride, has always shown in, and currently has been training in, her leather girth with no issues but we are hoping to move up to a 25 mile ride in about 6 weeks and I'd like to be prepared. Also, we are in southern Michigan, so heat and humidity may be a factor as well. Any advice on what you use and why will be much appreciated!

Joe4d 05-22-2012 12:35 AM

depends on the horse. seems Arabs do better with mohair or fleece, other horses dont seem to care. Long distance girths have different requirements than short distance or arena work. Too much grip can rub a horse raw.
I would say neoprene as it is what I use, but there are three differnt types of neoprene that I have seen, one is as slick as greased owl poo, the other grips so much it'll rub a horse raw, a third kind works well for me.

kait18 05-22-2012 09:19 AM

i use two types of girths... i have rope girths and neoprene girths that i cover with a fleece lining. i can just take it off and wash it and put it back on the girth soaking wet to help cool the underside of my horse. however when i use to use my leather girth and put the fleece covering over it... it seemed to break down the leather alot faster when i would soak the fleece and put it on. and on hot days my horses really seem to like the extra cool water on them.

but like joe said it depends on the horse..

grayshell38 05-22-2012 08:30 PM

I am not a long distance rider (yet), but I am a big fan of mohair. I've noticed that my horses come away signifigantly less sweaty with the mohair than even my cotton cinch. I am personally not a fan of neoprene, but it is a matter of opinion.

Celeste 05-22-2012 09:52 PM

I don't know what to say about the girths, but I do have something to say about the heat. There is no heat in Michigan...........

SunnyK01 05-22-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 1512248)
I don't know what to say about the girths, but I do have something to say about the heat. There is no heat in Michigan...........

Oh, we have heat - it's just that we have about 2 days of heat sandwiched between 2 weeks of fabulous weather!

SorrelHorse 05-22-2012 11:51 PM

Neoprene for me, on all my horses. I'm not a huge endurance rider but I've fiddled with short things in the summer (An excuse to go horse camping and something my older gelding actually enjoys)

Celeste 05-23-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyK01 (Post 1512404)
Oh, we have heat - it's just that we have about 2 days of heat sandwiched between 2 weeks of fabulous weather!

Lol. Must be nice. We have about 120 days of heat sandwiched between nice weather mixed with cold...............

BlueSpark 05-23-2012 10:46 AM

I have had terrible experiences with neoprene. I seem to find the super grippy rub-the-skin-right-off-my-horse kind and the super slippery ones. They also seem really hot.

I love mohair but cant find one for my aussie saddle

Fleece often seems to get clumpy really quick and really holds moisture forever. Mind you, I've never used the real stuff, just synthetic.

I'm currently using a endurance specific felt girth. Thin, moisture wicking felt on a durable webbing backing. The felt is velcroed on, so I can wash it in whatever is handy and stick it back on clean. My arab seems to like it, but time will tell...

Celeste 05-23-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 1512929)

I'm currently using a endurance specific felt girth. Thin, moisture wicking felt on a durable webbing backing. The felt is velcroed on, so I can wash it in whatever is handy and stick it back on clean. My arab seems to like it, but time will tell...

Do you the specific names? Maybe a link?