The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Hunter bit question (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/hunter-bit-question-124226/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-22-2012 08:55 AM

Hunter bit question

So I understand the basic differences in bit types (single jointed, slow twist, french link, etc) but when it comes to the types of metals and/or things like rollers, I don't have as much knowledge. I currently have my (Eventer recently turned Hunter) horse in a regular dee ring snaffle (single jointed). She goes pretty well in it, but sometimes can get a bit tense and "offended" by the bit, for lack of a better word. I know that's more a training issue rather than a bit type for the most part, but just wondering, anyone here use either the copper bits or ones with a roller in them, and what are the pros/cons to using those types of bits?

Like these...

Copper Mouth Dee Bit 5 Inch - Statelinetack.com

Korsteel Copper Roller Dee Bit 5 Inch - Statelinetack.com

Skyseternalangel 05-22-2012 08:59 AM

((I don't ride Hunters))

But Copper encourages the horse to salivate. And the rollers do too, they are something for the horse to play with.

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-22-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1511175)
((I don't ride Hunters))

But Copper encourages the horse to salivate. And the rollers do too, they are something for the horse to play with.

Yeah I did know they help the horse salivate, but I wonder whether that would be beneficial for my horse, if she would maybe give a little more/be more accepting of the bit? Hmm for $19 might be something worth trying out!

Skyseternalangel 05-22-2012 09:06 AM

Yeah it might, some horses love copper and some don't.

kcscott85 05-22-2012 09:26 AM

My hunter goes in the Korsteel Jointed Copper/Steel Roller Dee and my eventer goes in a Myler Level 1 loose ring which has a bit of a copper inlay and a roller. I found these work best for them through trial and error, so your horse may love it, but she may not. I always buy from SmartPak, that way I am guaranteed to be able to return it if it doesn't work out.

upnover 05-22-2012 11:47 AM

I have a pretty big arsenal of bits and my opinion is that there isn't a huge difference in switching from steel (or whatever) to copper. I mean, some horses might like copper a little more but if it's a training issue it's a training issue. Changing bits will make the biggest difference rather then just changing the metal. No, I'm not telling you bigger is better, but with certain horses I've found that it's more effective to put on something stronger to teach them "listen when I'm talking ot you" with the goal of going back to something softer in the future. The roller I've found is most popular with horses that like to have something to play with in their mouth.

How was your show???

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-22-2012 12:30 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah awhile ago I had her in a pelham because she would NOT stop yanking the reins out of my hand and dragging me around the ring. It was a temporary tool to get her under control while we worked out our training issues. Once she got over that and started carrying herself, we went back to a single jointed snaffle and that's what I've had in her mouth since then.

Regarding the roller, she is always licking and kind of chomping on her current bit. But would adding the roller only encourage her to do that more? Because I don't want her chomping, she gets so distracted when she gets into that habit!

equiniphile 05-22-2012 03:13 PM

Roller might be a good option. If she gets offended by the jointed snaffle, could you try a rubber jointed snaffle on her?

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-22-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1511647)
Roller might be a good option. If she gets offended by the jointed snaffle, could you try a rubber jointed snaffle on her?

I thought about that but I borrowed a friend's bit once that was a mullen mouth rubber bit, and it was SO big in her mouth, it basically just distracted her the entire time haha! :lol: She was too busy trying to figure out what this fat piece of rubber was stuffed into her small little mouth that she wasn't paying attention to much else!

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-22-2012 03:37 PM

It was this one, when I was first trying out pelhams:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...My_johSc_3hlj-