The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Starting jumping - poles (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/starting-jumping-poles-124250/)

The Northwest Cowgirl 05-22-2012 12:40 PM

Starting jumping - poles

Hey,
I am starting to work my way into jumping, and I've been starting with walking and trotting over small poles. But I was wondering, what happens if my horse steps on the pole? Im a little nervous about that, and its the one thing thats keeping me from starting on cantering over the poles. Any advice is helpful, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Goosey 05-23-2012 03:12 AM

So you have been doing trot poles, or small jumps? Theres nothing to be nervous about. If your horse steps on a pole, it will probably just stumble and correct itself :) Be prepared, but not nervous, as your horse will pick up on nervousness and start to worry.
Have fun and relax- jumping is extremely fun!

Oxer 06-01-2012 01:04 AM

if you're really nervous about it, you could also ground work your horse over trot poles. That way he/she can get the idea without you in the saddle. This will also allow you to see from the ground, how your horse responds to them, both mechanically and mentally. When i first trotted my gelding over pole he had no clue what he was doing, so he either tried to jump the whole lot of them, or he clip-clop-clip-clop-trip-flail-spazz out-and the trot on. hahaha! Before you know it, they are pros at trotting poles. :)

Samstead 06-01-2012 02:08 AM

Dont be nervous! I was at first but I kept my nervousness under control and didn't show it I think Lucy caught on though and took care of me and she knewitwas my first time jumping. Now I love jumping! The reality is you will fall but that's part of riding you've just gotta get back up,dust yourself off and try again we are after all, equestrians!

NeuroticMare 06-01-2012 03:30 AM

Horses step on poles all the time. Mine is kind of the queen of it when my trainer puts trotting poles in front of a jump (my mare hates trot fences, but they are good for horses to do so we do them). The heavier, the better. My poles at home are big heavy wooden fences posts, 10' long. My trainers are a bit more groomed wood at her place, and my mare has broken a couple of her poles by stepping directly on them.

Just keep your eyes up and have fun!

jody111 06-02-2012 03:49 AM

if they stand on it - it just either stays where it is or it moves a little - the horses willpick there feet up better next time - its no major - I like the above suggestion of doing some lunging/inhand work over poles to get your confidence up

The Northwest Cowgirl 06-02-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone!
Yes, we're doing trot poles.
I just have confidence issues sometimes, and I'm really nervous about him falling.. And me falling too :/
But thank you, I'll try some ground work :)

jinxremoving 06-03-2012 05:38 AM

Don't be nervous! When I was first learning to jump whenever I felt nervous or not 100% confident in myself, my refusal and run-out rate with the horse was always extremely high. Only when I started being confident in myself did my jumping start to really improve... and whatever you do, focus on something beyond the jump and never look at the jump. It's a common bad habit to look at the jump and it's one of the worst things you can do. Always look ahead to prepare for your next move. :)

Samstead 06-05-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxremoving (Post 1529633)
Don't be nervous! When I was first learning to jump whenever I felt nervous or not 100% confident in myself, my refusal and run-out rate with the horse was always extremely high. Only when I started being confident in myself did my jumping start to really improve... and whatever you do, focus on something beyond the jump and never look at the jump. It's a common bad habit to look at the jump and it's one of the worst things you can do. Always look ahead to prepare for your next move. :)

Agreed. DO NOT LOOK AT THE JUMP AS YOU GO OVER. Look at the end of the arena, find a spot in the middle of the jump but past it, a knot in the would, some dirt on the rail, a post, anything really. Just let the jump happen, don't over think it.

Amberish2002 06-05-2012 08:09 PM

If you really are that nervous about it, Maybe try a flat piece of decking... 2x6 or something like that. He'll still have to step over it, but it won't roll. Might catch the edge awkwardly though. Make sure he canters over whatever it is on the longe first, so you know what to expect. He may just canter thru, or might jump it at first.