The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Thin crappy mane... help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/thin-crappy-mane-help-124284/)

crazyfilly 05-22-2012 06:53 PM

Thin crappy mane... help?

1 Attachment(s)
I am fostering a horse for a OTTB rescue agency. I've only had her a little over a week now, but her mane is just in the worst condition I have ever seen. She is starting to shed out her actual coat, which is great, but her mane (if you can call it that because there is so little) isn't growing at all. It is like three inches long in some spots, and as short as a half inch in others. The whole thing is very very thin. I don't know whether or not to clip it all off and let it start from scratch, or just wait a while and see what it does. I have seen some crappy manes in my life, but nothing like this!

Speed Racer 05-22-2012 06:58 PM

Honestly, at this point you should probably just roach it and let it start to grow out evenly.

crazyfilly 05-22-2012 08:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went ahead and roached it... I got a little carried away and started body clipping her. I only got half of her done, I'll have to finish tomorrow. What do you think?

xJumperx 05-22-2012 11:02 PM

She looks good :D

BarrelWannabe 05-22-2012 11:14 PM

I like the roached look. She could just be thin-maned. Is her tail the same way?
Posted via Mobile Device

platinumspurs 05-22-2012 11:26 PM

We use MTG on the horses at the rescue barn I work for. I've seen it do wonders on dozens of horses. You can find it at any tack store I think.

platinumspurs 05-26-2012 12:32 AM

She looks like a sweet horse.

rascalboy 05-26-2012 12:56 PM

Well, if she's in poor condition, the mane won't grow. A healthy horse grows a healthy mane. An unhealthy horse does not. Once she starts getting groceries, her hair should start coming in. You could also try feeding a supplement. I'd recommend "Source". I've had good luck with it, and it's very inexpensive. You can also pair it with another supplement, like if you're doing a weight/hoof supplement. If her mane is crappy, her hooves are too. The hair she has is poor quality, and the hoof horn she has is probably poor quality too. I'd suggest roaching the mane. Even if she starts growing healthy mane again, the hair she has already isn't going to ever look nice. It's dead and won't benefit from increased nutrients.

crazyfilly 05-26-2012 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Platinumspurs :) She's a sweetie. I've used MTG in the past, but I didn't see it helping in this case.

@BarrelWannaBe Her tail is thin, but I honestly think she just scratched it out. I've seen a picture of her with a fairly decent tail.

@rascalboy She's a foster so I feed her what they give me, but I put her on Ultra Bloom by Seminole the day I got her. Its a rice bran supplement. She gets 2 pounds of it a day. And I put her on 3 quarts of the grain 3x a day. And she gets hay spread out whenever she isn't on grass. I roached her mane and body clipped her because her hair was just in such horrible condition. I think it came out really well. I attached a picture of her (hopefully right side up lol).