The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Impacted tooth issue? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/impacted-tooth-issue-12433/)

hsharp123 07-30-2008 05:48 AM

Impacted tooth issue?

Anybody have any experience with a horse with an impacted tooth?
Basically its where a tooth doesnt come through and stays in the jaw for some reason from when a horse was young? Usually theres a large lump under the lower jaw.

Wondering if any body has had this with their horse and if it caused a problem with ridden work and or biting/behavioural issues etc?

Thanks,

Elz x

ilovemydun 07-30-2008 09:00 PM

You know what...reading this post, I think I now know what my filly has! I felt it tonight, she has a lump on the right side of her jaw. Have you learned anything about it yet?

BluMagic 07-30-2008 09:04 PM

If the teeth are still coming in...there are lumps.

But if the horse is full grown...thats different.

ilovemydun 07-30-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluMagic
If the teeth are still coming in...there are lumps.

But if the horse is full grown...thats different.

Lumps on the underside of the jaw? How long would it take for it to go away...I've noticed it before

BluMagic 07-30-2008 09:25 PM

I would guess they should be gone by age five for fillies to mature into mares.

?

hsharp123 07-31-2008 04:35 AM

Yes the lumps should be very minimal by age five. Sorry i didnt mean to scare anybody! Please note that a lumpy lower jaw is something all young horses have and these lumps will stay with a young horse until all teeth have erupted.

I mean in age 5 or more. And these lumps are very prominant!! I will get a picture.

I have found out from my vet that impacted teeth can be very painful. They are caused when a cap (baby tooth) becomes fixed and does'nt shed away due to being fixed in by the teeth around it. Caps are shed at age 3 so it is vital to have a 3 year olds teeth done every few months. Upto 12 caps can be shed in as little as 4months and if one becoms fixed it prevents the adult tooth from coming through and so it becomes impacted in the jaw. While the cap stays food and infetion can set into the jaw and cause many behavioural issues such as biting and being plain moddy as you can expect. Weight gain can also be effected. Ridden problems will also be obvious, tilting the head, not coming onto the bit, shaking the head, pulling the riens out of your hands. Irregular gait, running forwards or not wanting to go forwards.

The vet will suggest x-rays to see what the impacted tooth is doing within the jaw and they may decide to go in through the outside of the jaw and remove it. This is a big operation and infection is difficult to prevent.

I was just wonderig if anybody has had this problem and whether they had to have surgery on their horse, and if so how it went and were the problems cured?

Elz x

horses_r_life9 07-31-2008 03:26 PM

i would have an equine dentist come out. if he is taking the bit good and he's not dropping alot of weight than i wouldn;t worry 2 much abot it

BluMagic 07-31-2008 03:47 PM

http://www.eques.com.au/health/sept2004/teethbaby.jpg

Does this help any? Its similar to our teeth. Only the horse has a longer jaw and bigger teeth.