The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Help in sitting trot (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/help-sitting-trot-124334/)

jenniferw 05-23-2012 04:09 AM

Help in sitting trot

Hey,
I have problems relaxing my hips and thighs so i bounce out of the saddle alot. My coach continually tells me to relax but im a tense person naturally.
any ideas on how to help this???

RunSlideStop 05-23-2012 04:22 AM

You may notice that imagining what it is like to have relaxed hips and thighs will help you to become relaxed. You can practice while sitting in a chair. You may find yourself asking these questions as you read them.

How does it feel to have tense thighs and hips? How does it look to have tense thighs and hips? Does it sound about right that you can notice in your mind what it is like to be tense? And now, how does it feel to have relaxed thighs and hips? And how does it look? You may notice a relaxed feeling in your legs as you attempt to recreate this feeling.

And now, what needs to happen so you begin to notice your hips and thighs relaxed? How does it feel to make this transition from tense to relaxed? What does it look like? Is any specific method or image ringing a bell?

Do you notice that as you are reading these questions, you are either unconsciously or consciously becoming relaxed?<br />

You may or may not find that asking yourself these questions, or having someone correspond with you (they ask them, you answer) will help you to develop the imagery in your head of exactly how you can become relaxed in the sitting trot.

Cheers,
RSS

jenniferw 05-23-2012 04:39 AM

do you know wny stretches i could do before riding?

RunSlideStop 05-23-2012 04:46 AM

You may notice that quad and groin stretches will help to loosen your legs up a bit. To allow your hips to become relaxed, you might try gyrating your hips in a few circles in both directions, starting with smaller, tighter circles, and ending with larger, more loose circles. You may or may not find that bending your knees slightly and folding at the waist to touch your toes (or as low as you can reach in that direction) will stretch your hamstrings and lower back. These stretches may help you to become relaxed physically, alongside the mental practice you have done before by asking yourself the above questions.

(Apologies for any spelling errors; responding on my phone).

Cheers,
RSS

jenniferw 05-23-2012 04:48 AM

ill definately try these
If anyone else has something to add, feel free

VanillaBean 05-23-2012 07:14 AM

Try sitting trot at a SUPER slow trot without stirrups. It should be so slow that your horse could break into the walk at any moment. Think about your hips going side to side and just let your legs hang. Sit back almost exaggerated, too. This should cause your seat to deepen, making it easier for you to ride.

Once you have that down stirrupless, try the same thing with very long stirrups. You can gradually raise them.

I am also a naturally tense person, which causes a ton of problems in my riding, you just have to learn to push through and try different things to help you.

Good luck! :)

jenniferw 05-23-2012 07:59 AM

antonella 05-23-2012 12:49 PM

without stirrups

I suggest the same, leave the stirrup, only sit forward, let your legs fall downward. they should be naturally in the same position that with long stirrup, just slightly flexed at the knee. let your shoulders bach and relax. don't hang on the bridle, if you feel unsure grab a little mane. try to go with the horse movement. and most of all, try to worry as little as possible and keep your neck straight looking forward, do not crouch and look at the horse head.this is what I try to do. now, I have a friesian and he is very high trotting, so it is a bit harder.

jenniferw 05-24-2012 12:27 AM

Thanks :) I've had people say sit forward and other say sit back? whos right?

antonella 05-24-2012 04:52 AM

sitting trot

hi j. sorry I was not really clear. I guess it depends if you ride english or american. in the first case, sitting too far back will probably bring your legs in the wrong position, while sitting forward and erect, will help them fall in the natural position. anyway, as you have to relax, try what is more confortable for you. and if you have an instructor or someone watching you, you can ask them what they think. hope your problems are soon solved! enjoy yourself!