The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Storing 2 saddles, one on top of the other - will it harm them?

7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Tianimalz 
#1 ·
I just bought a second saddle, and I plan on using them both regularly (a close contact that I prefer for trail riding and a dressage saddle that I use for schooling). I have a decent-sized locker at the place where I board my horse, but if I want to keep them both in there I'll have to store them one on top of the other on a saddle rack. Does anybody else do this, or know if it will damage either of them? My backup plan is to leave one in my car but I'm worried about it getting broken into.

#6 ·
Long-term stacking of English saddles tends to dent the flock and such hollows can sometimes cause lack-of-pressure problems, most usually fluid lumps under the skin which normally resolve within a few hours.

Short-term storage this way shouldn't cause issues unless the flock is very soft.

Having said that, I used to double-stack saddles in the shop with few problems. It's better to strip the girths/irons off, though.

#7 ·
I only have one saddle stand, so my (western saddles) leather and synthetic are stacked, so far they both still have their shape and don't seem to be harmed at all (after 3 years), I like to stack the lightest on top though, specially if its synthetic. I don't think I'd like to risk putting a 50lb hunk of leather ontop of a soft synthetic :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.