The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle pads and girth length! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-pads-girth-length-12441/)

amightytarzan5 07-30-2008 09:30 AM

Saddle pads and girth length!

I bought a saddle that I am going to try to put on a few horses that go from 16.3 all the way to 14.3. Am I going to have to buy more than one girth? Or is there one (cheapish) girth that can fit my needs?

Also, I want a bright, fun saddle pad. Any suggestions?

smrobs 07-30-2008 09:43 AM

I can't really help you with your questions because I ride western but I can give you a couple of sites that sell good quality tack (english and western) for very reasonable prices.

www.chicksaddlery.com
www.horse.com

I have bought from both these sites in the past and never had a problem.

FoxyRoxy1507 07-30-2008 09:51 AM

yes you are going to have to buy different sized girths. you have to measure your horses first to see what sizes your going to need, then you can prob find a girth that will fit a couple of the horses but ur def going to need a diff size girth for the horse that's 16.3h and the one that's 14.3h

amightytarzan5 07-30-2008 10:05 AM

Shoot. Okay, I'll see. What's the smallest sized girth I could buy for a 16.3 horse? Or is that something I'd have to measure for?

And how do you measure for girths?

Gangsta 07-30-2008 10:45 AM

it's all gonna depend on the horse. I had a 17h TB that used a 54 and it fit him well, but we also used to board a 16.3h draft here, who used a 60 AND had to have 2 girth extenders to make it fit. See if you can find out what size girths they all take now. It's possible you can get away with 2 girths, if you use an extender

GallopingGrape 07-30-2008 11:37 AM

You will definitely need different girths (and different saddles!!), measure from just above the elbow to just above the elbow. Great inexpensive saddles can be found at www.GallopingGrape.com. Also check out the treeless saddles, they have a tendency to fit many horses.

amightytarzan5 07-30-2008 12:53 PM

Why would I need different saddles? If I have a saddle that fits the tree of more than one horse, then I won't need more than one saddle. Right now, I'm just going to concentrate on one horse, then I'll see about the others.

Kyani 07-30-2008 12:55 PM

It's really highly unlikely that the same saddle will fit horses of such different sizes. English saddles will pinch or rub if they aren't fitted correctly and can cause 'bad' behaviour from pain and even long-term back or neck problems.

amightytarzan5 07-30-2008 01:01 PM

Yeah, I know that English saddles can pinch. How is it highly unlikely that a saddle can't fit a 14.3 horse just a well as a 16.3 horse?

I know that there's a height difference, but the 14.3 horse's withers are about the same width as the 16.3 horse's.

GallopingGrape 07-30-2008 01:23 PM

Wither height is only a tiny portion of saddle fitting! You should seek out a professional to help you fit your saddles or you will end up with sore horses. Try cnotacting your local saddle shop. Believe me... You can go through DOZENS of saddles just to try to fit one horse.... It is very, very unlikely that one saddle will fit everyone. Acutally its nearly impossible. Again, try a treeless, you'll have better success fitting everyone.

I own a saddle shop and it took me two years and dozens and dozens of saddle to fit my one horse.