The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Is this a Paso Fino? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/paso-fino-124419/)

allmotorchick 05-23-2012 08:09 PM

Is this a Paso Fino?

3 Attachment(s)
Ok Before I start if you have any rude comments please spend your time doing something else more constructive.

This is our first day with him and I am so curious to figure out what he is. Regardless of what he is we felt a wonderful connection with him and are looking forward to a lifetime of happiness with him.

We know intermediate information about paso finos and wanted to know what breed you think our new horse is? I know the easiest way to tell a paso is their gait but we haven't seen him gait. I also know most pasos are born with the gait however not all pasos gait. He DOES have an incredibly smooth walk, fast walk, slow trot, and canter that is very easy to ride. We have rode pasos before and he sure doesn't gait nor ride like a paso but he also hasn't been trained to ride like one either.

We purchased him from an area where there are mostly all paso fino breeders. He was being boarded at the barn for a year and his owner never came back for him. The barn kept him for a year then, gelded him, got him western training and shots etc. A few months later we came along and just feel in love with his personality. They only fed him grass and hay, no grain. In my opinion he needs to add a little weight but I know they are very easy keepers.

He is 6 years old. Very small, 14 hands roughly. His old halter (Blue) looks like they left it on. I am against doing that but out new red one is also too large and it was for a small horse. We are looking for a cob halter for him.

The barn owners kids rode him with a saddle that was too large and bit that was so big it cut his mouth. He threw his head back constantly when we test rode him at the barn and I knew it wasn't his fault for being bad. We just tried a new bit and saddle and he is a charm to ride.

We think he looks like a paso who needs to gain a little weight. He certainly acts like one.

He is hot! can't sit still wants to go go go all the time.
Doesn't like to walk slow.
Has a beautiful long mane. He carries his tail high.
Looks just like my husbands old pasos.
Feels gaited but does not move feet like a paso.

I will give him a few days to settle in and get a video up if you think that would help. Just let me know.
Attachment 99336
Attachment 99332
Attachment 99334

thanks again for your help and holding back an negative comments. We love this little guy already.

Lexiie 05-23-2012 08:14 PM

Might be mixed with Paso and something else
What a cutie!

redape49 05-23-2012 08:14 PM

gORGEOUS! Looks paso to me. Will wait for the video!

trailhorserider 05-23-2012 08:15 PM

Actually from the first photo I thought "Arabian." But he doesn't look as Arabian in the 2nd photo. 3rd photo could go either way.

He could be a Paso, but honestly I have no idea. I usually picture them with rounder hindquarters and crestier necks. So I guess I'm not much help.

Enjoy your new boy! :-)

equiniphile 05-23-2012 08:20 PM

In the last few photos, he definitely looks like he has some Paso (maybe even Peruvian Paso). Maybe he's a Paso Fino x QH cross?

RunSlideStop 05-23-2012 08:26 PM

Poor boy is plum upside-down. He looks Paso (maybe even Peruvian) to me as well. I would bet by his age and lack of conditioning that he just has not been trained up, and might gait for you with some work. Either way he is a handsome boy.

Cheers,
RSS

ETA: Looking at those gorgeous legs and those shoulder/hip angles, I would bet my lunch money he is a Paso and moves real nicely, deep down in his hidden gaited alter ego! Ha! :)

Joidigm 05-31-2012 01:38 AM

I would think probably not Peruvian Paso. He's not dropped in the rear legs at all, which lends very heavily to their smooth 4 beat gaits (and a very smooth, non swaying walk). Peruvians are almost absurdly dropped in the rear ankles, like really stretched and maybe injured tendon looking.

I'm not very familiar with Paso Fino's however, and only newly acquainted with Peruvians. So I can't say about the Paso side of him, but I think definitely not Peruvian.

allmotorchick 06-01-2012 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

My husband and I haven't had time together with our camera with the rain and hot weather. Rode him a few times and have been doing groundwork. He is afraid of puddles and likes to jump them but got him to step in a few puddles. He will stop dead in his tracks when he sees one. He can turn and stop on a dime. Doesn't enjoy whoa or backing yet, one time he threw his head up and clunked me in the head, thankfully I had a helmet on. Enjoys climbing and will go into places that scare him with a little bump of encouragement. He does not like dogs and when he gets nervous he just wants to leave. Needs more exposure to odd objects. Not sure how he spooks yet. So far they have been ok spooks. Took him on a few short trail rides on his own and he did excellent for being a new rider, new place and there being no other horses. I was really impressed.

He is also gaining a little weight which he needs. We have been lunging him also and he is very willing to please and learn in all aspects of trainging. Just a sweet little guy. Doesn't always enjoy being caught which is very different from our QH. Sometimes he will come other times he rather be left alone but will always come with a treat. We have also been leaving him in a stall part of the day so I am sure he enjoys his pasture time.

He is green broke but still very enjoyable to ride although needs much refining. We got him to stand for mounting and dismounting which is a great accomplishment for us. I noticed that he likes to stand with his legs slightly back when on the cross ties, etc.

vthorse 06-25-2012 05:33 PM

If you have a Paso...lucky! I loved my little Paso Fino so much, and she was a joy to ride!

xlntperuvian 07-05-2012 07:55 PM

Wrong on so many levels

Quote: "I would think probably not Peruvian Paso. He's not dropped in the rear legs at all, which lends very heavily to their smooth 4 beat gaits (and a very smooth, non swaying walk). Peruvians are almost absurdly dropped in the rear ankles, like really stretched and maybe injured tendon looking."

Joidigm, I don’t know where you got your information but what you’ve written here is absolutely untrue. Every single word of it. In fact, what you’ve posted is so horrifyingly wrong that I registered with this forum just so I could reply and set the record straight.

I bought my first Peruvian in 1995. Over the years I have had as many as 14 Peruvians, right now I have 8. I can tell you for a fact that **normal** Peruvian Horses are NOT “absurdly dropped in the rear ankles”. Not ever. “Absurdly dropped” rear ankles are not normal for ANY breed. If you saw a horse like that, with “absurdly dropped rear ankles” – no matter what breed it was – you were looking at a horse that was either severely damaged in the rear tendons and ligaments or the horse was a conformational wreck to begin with. Whichever it was, it was NOT normal.

So what IS normal in the Peruvian? According to the breed standard the legs of a **normal** Peruvian Horse are as follows:

Quarters should be strong, of medium roundness and width. Shoulders are long, very well inclined and well-muscled. Bones of the lower limbs should be well-aligned and well articulated so that the long bones line up with each other correctly above and below the joints with the skin tight against the bone and strong, prominent tendons. Ideal pasterns are short to medium in length and flexible, but not showing weakness. Any horse whose angle of the pastern is below horizontal (i.e. the fetlock is level with or below the level of the coronet) is not acceptable. Hooves should be well shaped and balanced in size with the size of the horse. Heel should be wide and open to allow expansion and contraction. Hoof should appear strong and durable and correctly centered on the bone above it. Hooves should not toe in or be splayed.

The smooth gait of the Peruvian Horse does not come from any conformational flaw or defect. It does not require the use of “special tack”, nor is it the result of “operations on their legs” (yes, I’ve heard that one too.)

The smooth gait comes from the following:

FIRST and foremost: Breeding
To get good gait you have to breed for good gait. Unlike some other gaited breeds the gait of a Peruvian is never “fixed” with weighted shoes, stacks, chains, stretchies, or artificial training devices or methods. In fact, shoes are forbidden in our show ring except in non-qualifying events such as gaming classes or trail classes.

2. The smoothness of the gait depends on many things: the horse’s conformation, the timing of the footfalls, the speed at which the gait is executed, etc. I could go into this more, but the OP was asking what breed her horse might be, so this is not the place for it. However - I do want to clarify one thing. The action of the front legs is called Termino. It is NOT the same thing as paddling or winging which are both due to conformational faults. Termino originates in the shoulders of the horse. Some Peruvians have lots of termino, others don't.

Quote: "I'm not very familiar with Paso Fino's however, and only newly acquainted with Peruvians. So I can't say about the Paso side of him, but I think definitely not Peruvian."

I don’t know what your point was in writing what you did. Maybe you were trying to prove how much you know about the Peruvian Horse? But what you have posted about the breed is akin to saying “All Arabians are dingbats” or “All Saddlebreds are crazy” or “All Quarter Horses have HYPP”.

You say that you are “only newly acquainted with Peruvians”. That may well be the case. If so, the kindest thing I can say to you is that you need to do some research. Please learn something about the breed before making blanket statements that are not only totally untrue but just serve to illustrate how much you don’t know. Ignorance is not an excuse for posting misinformation. Not when you can go to the Internet and get good, accurate information about Peruvian Horses from the breed registries and reputable breeders 24/7/365.

Some of the very best Peruvian Horses in the US competed in the Gold Rush show just last weekend (June 29-July1) in Las Vegas. Here's the link if you'd like to see the photos:
Don Stine Sports/Equine/Advertising Photography

Click on View Album. For a real treat click on Class 49.