The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Do you wear your wedding ring, or any rings while working horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/do-you-wear-your-wedding-ring-124478/)

Cinnys Whinny 05-24-2012 11:44 AM

Do you wear your wedding ring, or any rings while working horses?

I never thought of this before, but in my June issue of Equus, the last page is an article about it that made me think. Basically the person unknowingly injured her ring finger due to an emergency dismount which the doctors said wouldn't have happened if she wasn't wearing her wedding ring. It went on to discuss how it's very common for people to permanently injure or amputate their finger because of the wedding ring.

I have always worn mine, even though lately the reins slide it down my finger and I'm afraid I will lose it in the arena or on trail. But now, I am wondering if I should just leave it at home when I am with the horses. How many of you wear your ring or other rings? Have any of you injured your finger or hand because of it?

calicokatt 05-24-2012 11:48 AM

Its not a wedding ring, but I wear a ring all the time and have never had any issues. Of course, that's kind of like saying, 'since it hasn't happened yet, it won't happen' like people often do in the helmet debate. I'm not sure that I would be willing to remove my wedding band (if I ever bother to get married again) though. Perhaps just wearing gloves would be a reasonable precaution?

horsebraid 05-24-2012 11:51 AM

This doesn't apply to me, but a girl at the barn I've noticed never wears her engagement ring while with the horses. I never asked her why, though. I always assumed because she doesn't want to lose it. I never really thought of it being a safety issue, although now I do!

Delfina 05-24-2012 11:52 AM

I have a significant callus from my wedding set but that's the only *injury* I've ever sustained.

I wear gloves 99.999% of the time though if riding or doing groundwork.

Arksly 05-24-2012 12:05 PM

I'm not a big ring wearer but I know my mom always takes her rings off. She has a few reason for doing so 1) Safety. There have been numerous times where her rings gave been caught. 2) So they don't get lost and 3) because she's accidentally scraped Jesse's face with them a few times.
Posted via Mobile Device

candandy49 05-24-2012 12:11 PM

It never happened to me, but it did to my younger sister. She was riding a horse that was usually a "steady and calm ride". The saddle she was riding had an over-lapping leather on the top of the horn with a screw in the center. Her horse suddenly pitched a fit and my sister got her wedding ring and finger hung-up on the unknown at the time slightly loose screw on top of the horn. That was all that was keeping her hung up to the saddle as the horse finally stopped in it's tracks by my sister's husband. The wedding rings had also finally broken, but my sister lost all the skin and tendons in her finger.

Truth be known, it can and does happen.

gigem88 05-24-2012 12:13 PM

I always take my rings off, mainly because they have a tendency to swell.

JanetsPaintedRayne 05-24-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candandy49 (Post 1514669)
It never happened to me, but it did to my younger sister. She was riding a horse that was usually a "steady and calm ride". The saddle she was riding had an over-lapping leather on the top of the horn with a screw in the center. Her horse suddenly pitched a fit and my sister got her wedding ring and finger hung-up on the unknown at the time slightly loose screw on top of the horn. That was all that was keeping her hung up to the saddle as the horse finally stopped in it's tracks by my sister's husband. The wedding rings had also finally broken, but my sister lost all the skin and tendons in her finger.

Truth be known, it can and does happen.

Ouch... If I ever get married I will not be wearing a ring with my horses after reading that!
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 05-24-2012 12:16 PM

I was always taught never to wear a ring...but I have always worn my wedding ring. It can and will eventually get caught. I do not ever wear a bracelet, though....I, and others, spent at least 2 solid hours looking for a bracelet in my then arena that had thick dirt footing once...it got caught on the horn whilst working cattle. I never found it. Gone forever...it was a grad gift from my mom.

FlyGap 05-24-2012 12:18 PM

28 Attachment(s)
I'm really bad about NEVER wearing my rings. My hub gets on to me all the time, lol! He never takes his off. Mine is ornate with lots of open filligree (sp).
1. It gets itchy, sweaty, and dirty with all the million gross things I have to touch.
2. I have a different stone and it scratches easily.
3. Too expensive to loose.
4. I've had so many finger bruises and close calls, it snags too easily, I hate the thing!