The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Proof of ownership (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/proof-ownership-124500/)

mselizabeth 05-24-2012 02:08 PM

Proof of ownership

My good friend has his horse stolen from the pasture at his house. He did not file a police report at the time. He found his gelding 6 months later at a local boarding farm. The horse was apparently sold to them by the man who probably stole him. The current owners would not return the horse, as they felt he has no proof it is his. The police were called and could not return the horse either due to lack of documentation.

Is there a way to prove ownership of his gelding?
Posted via Mobile Device

mls 05-24-2012 02:10 PM

Why didn't he file a police report?

If your friend does not have registration papers or vet/farrier bills, he may be SOL.

mselizabeth 05-24-2012 02:14 PM

He has vet bills, but it does not describe the horse. Just states the horses name.

I don't know why he didn't file one. I suppose because he lives out in the country, where the police are not very involved.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelWannabe 05-24-2012 02:16 PM

Does it have a stable name or registered name?
Posted via Mobile Device

mselizabeth 05-24-2012 02:22 PM

His stable name is chance. He was not registered. He came from his old mare. Kind of a backyard breeding situation.

He wants to be able to at least protect the few horses he has left. Is there a way to document ownership of them? Unfortuently, most horses don't come with an official document or "title" like a car or other property. Times like these I wish they would.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 05-24-2012 02:24 PM

Your friend is SOL. Next time something gets stolen, call the police. There will at least be a paper trail and a description of the stolen item/animal.

PaintHorseMares 05-24-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mselizabeth (Post 1514993)
His stable name is chance. He was not registered. He came from his old mare. Kind of a backyard breeding situation.

He wants to be able to at least protect the few horses he has left. Is there a way to document ownership of them? Unfortuently, most horses don't come with an official document or "title" like a car or other property. Times like these I wish they would.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taking pictures of them on your property is good start.
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 05-24-2012 02:31 PM

After I photographed the heck out of 'em, I'd microchip 'em if they weren't registered or branded.

mselizabeth 05-24-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigem88 (Post 1515004)
After I photographed the heck out of 'em, I'd microchip 'em if they weren't registered or branded.

They do microchipping on horses? Do you just go to your vet for it?
Posted via Mobile Device

gigem88 05-24-2012 03:01 PM

Yes! The vet would be the one to do it. Thought about doing to my son since he'd go with anybody when he was younger lol!