The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Do you run to the left or right barrel first? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/do-you-run-left-right-barrel-124555/)

DoubleJ2 05-24-2012 07:54 PM

Do you run to the left or right barrel first?

Which way was your horse trained?

BarrelRacingLvr 05-24-2012 08:58 PM

We start all ours to the right first but depending if they perform their best that way. Scrat, Polly, and BB are the only lefties on the place, they got switched because they had two bad barrels and one good barrel so why fight them. Now they have one weak barrel and 2 strong barrels.

So if a horse is comfortable running a different way then we switch...the point is to make it easier for both you and the horse.

beau159 05-25-2012 11:34 PM

My "now retired" horse would actually run the pattern either way (whichever way you point him). When he was younger, he did run better starting on the left barrel. But as he seasoned, he turned equally well both ways. I usually just stuck with running to the left first because he was used to it.

DrumRunner 05-26-2012 12:26 AM

It depends on the individual horse's preferences and what works best for said horse..

Hickory will go to either barrel first, Lark goes to the left, and Nikki goes to the right.

huntergrl 05-29-2012 06:25 AM

I will train my Apache boy to do the right one first. I've always gone to the right first. It'll probably be his slowest because he hates going right! lol

ShortyHorse11 05-29-2012 08:11 AM

When I first started my boy Tank I took him to the right then after a while I had someone suggest taking him to the left since he seemed to turn right better. After running him to the left for a while he started dodging the second barrel so I switched him back to the right and he has been doing great since. I guess he told me when he didn't want to go left anymore!
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelBunny 05-30-2012 09:22 PM

I've only ever played with the pattern to the left... I don't know if I COULD run to the left. :lol: I guess with more practice I could!! :wink:

RunJumpRide 06-01-2012 06:56 PM

Specs goes right because he's strongest on his left lead :)