The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   New Adult Male Beginner: intro and looking for opinions (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/new-adult-male-beginner-intro-looking-124578/)

mn2132 05-24-2012 11:48 PM

New Adult Male Beginner: intro and looking for opinions

Hi I'm Mike,

I am a 23 year old guy who is currently pursuing an MBA degree. I have had a real interest in horses for a while now (since I was around 9 or 10). I am a bigger guy (6'3" and 187 lbs). Unfortunately I never had the chance to take up riding lessons until now because of several things standing in the way like my weight issues and others opinions of me taking riding lessons. I am looking to join riding lessons soon and I think I found the right facility.

Recently I have really looked at all my options for riding lessons since I now have some money and I am more in shape. I am looking to get into english riding (jumping). I have lost a ton of weight over the last several months (74 lbs). My family and friends were never keen on the idea of anything to do with horses, but now that I am more independent I am looking to reach a dream I have had for a while now.

My only problem is that since it is a mostly female dominated sport, how receptive are they to a guy looking to learn? I am not the most outgoing guy and do get intimidated if I feel that others are judging me. Do you think that I would be out of place after what I described?

Thanks Everyone!

-Mike

Meatos 05-25-2012 12:01 AM

I think you should just jump right in! Some of the best riders in the world are male. Any barn that sneered at a male beginner isn't any barn that I would want to ride at. I'm a beginner at 28 and was worried that an adult newbie would be frowned upon, but they welcomed me with open arms at my barn.

Congrats on your weight loss, that's a fabulous achievement! Now get out there and reward yourself with some lessons. :-)

smrobs 05-25-2012 12:02 AM

First off, welcome to the forum! :D

There will undoubtedly be some initial snickers and jokes coming from the more immature people around the lesson barn, but just ignore them. You're wanting to get into horses and riding for yourself so to heck with what everyone else thinks.

Personally, I am very receptive to anyone who wishes to learn, regardless of their age or gender. As far as I'm concerned, the more people that turn horse-crazy, the less weird I look :wink::lol:.

Just find a good barn that has good horses to learn on and enjoy yourself. That's what riding is all about, enjoyment. I'm sure that you know it will take a fairly significant amount of time before you actually start jumping, but the time taken to learn the basics is no less thrilling.

I applaud you for hanging onto your dream and taking steps to realize it under your own power :clap:.

Paintlover1965 05-25-2012 12:20 AM

I think it's great that you are interested in pursuing your interest in horses and congratulations on the weight loss. You are young and I wouldn't let anyone tell you that men are not welcome in the horse world as an OP already stated. My husband just started riding three years ago and loves it very much, he is 51 years old now and I figure he will continue for many years to come. Although he has no interest in jumping he really enjoys western trail riding and some western gaming. You're never too old to start something that you love to do. Take some lessons and you'll realize your dreams.

tinyliny 05-25-2012 12:37 AM

I think most barns will welcome a guy. In fact, they'll probably all fawn all over you and treat you "special". Might be fun , for awhile.

and welcom to the forum. We appreciate beginners of all genders.

cakemom 05-25-2012 12:42 AM

I can tell you the middle aged guy who rides at our barn thinks he's died and gone to heaven. He's in the middle of women who think he's awesome and are willing to teach him all he wants to learn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 05-25-2012 01:02 AM

We LOVE having guys interested in horses :)

Welcome!

PaintCowgirl 05-25-2012 10:00 AM

go for it. my boyfriend is 31, and came to me last week and asked me if i'd teach him to ride. it is more manly sport than you may realize. its actually male dominated where i live.
COWBOY UP and enjoy!

bsms 05-25-2012 10:27 AM

I started at 50. I mostly ride my own horses, but I spent some months taking group lessons. As a guy in his 50s taking lessons at the beginner level, either no one made fun of me or they hid it well. I suspect it might have been different if they had been 13 year old girls, but I think the youngest was in her late teens. The large majority of folks by that age or later tend to be happy if someone wants to learn something they love doing.

FWIW, I've never had anyone make fun of me or laugh at me for riding horses.

Britt 05-25-2012 10:37 AM

Go for it! We need more male riders in the world!