The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Weak Hind End? What is it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weak-hind-end-what-124584/)

AvasMom 05-25-2012 12:41 AM

Weak Hind End? What is it?

I have a six year old paint mare. I'm concerned if something is wrong with her hind end, hocks, or stifles etc. I can't figure it out. She is mildly pigeon toed, and mildly sickle and cow hocked on her hind. Her walk is very over reached. Her trot is pleasant, she doesn't extend very well on her right side, left is normal. When I canter her on her left lead it is very nice to ride but her right lead is a whole different story, it is flat, tight, fast, and choppy, also when her right front foot hits the ground her neck wobbles. It is very difficult for me to ride her right lead. She has cantered like this for as long as I can remember. She has also been falling on her hind end more often. I just trimmed her feet.

She has short pasterns in the back and medium to long pasterns in the front, if that makes a difference. I really don't have more to say, if you have questions feel free to ask. I would just like something to work with so I have something to let the vet go off of, the vets around here are not very helpful...

Thank you...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...o/DSCN0789.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...o/DSCN0793.jpg

AvasMom 05-25-2012 01:06 AM

I forgot to add. Last year I had the vet come out to do a lameness check but he didn't say there was anything to be concerned about.. But I feel like something is wrong!

tinyliny 05-25-2012 01:09 AM

It looks like she does not bend in the stifle hardly at all. So, she must bend more in the hock to get the lower leg forward, but her reach is really short.

AvasMom 05-25-2012 10:18 AM

Hmm, like a locking stifle?

tinyliny 05-25-2012 12:46 PM

I don't know. my knowledge of gait analysis is limited. But that's what I saw. Without video, I don't think one can tell if the stifle is locking or not.

AvasMom 05-25-2012 12:51 PM

Alright, I'll be seeing her tomorrow, so I'll make a video of her gaits then. I think I may just go ahead and schedule an appointment with a vet and mention it could be her stifle.

KennyRogersPaints 05-25-2012 01:42 PM

I say stifle, and quite a bit, stifle weakness can also correspond with hock soreness too (bone spavins). If I were you call your vet, have him/her come out and do a flexion and have them see her go. Most vets would probably want to do radiographs just in case of hocks, stifles, and fetlocks. I also have an awesome article from my vet on stifle weakness and strengthening that I could email you if you want.

New_image 05-25-2012 03:44 PM

A agree with a vet visit if you are curious.
But she looks very similar to some of the horses with stifle troubles that I've seen. One gelding in particular, he rarely locked but he was always "weak" and stiff in the hind end.

AvasMom 05-25-2012 10:36 PM

Thank you everyone! This has taken a lot of stress of me.

Since it is looking like weak stifles do you think it would be better just to do lots of trotting and hill work for a few months and then if nothing improves call the vet or just go ahead and call the vet? I mean she has dealt with this her whole life, I don't see why a few months could hurt.. And the last time I had a lameness check a while back (although it was for her front feet) the vet said she was fine...

tinyliny 05-25-2012 11:19 PM

I would ask for the radiograph of the stifle area. I bet that's expensive, so it's easy for me to say, since I don't have to pay. But, I am not sure a "weak" stifle is an issue. I would be more concerned about arthritis or other physical changes, rather than just being weak there. Why would one be weak there unless they avoid such movement, and if so, they avoid such movement due to discomfort.