The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   New calf 2 days old now (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/new-calf-2-days-old-now-124592/)

Debbiesgypsy 05-25-2012 03:26 AM

New calf 2 days old now

1 Attachment(s)
So i went out the other morning at about 5:30 am and found my cow had her calf. Nice little Heifer calf that looks just like mom. I left them alone the first couple days but today i brought brahma moma as i call her down and decided to hand milk her (that was fun) She has way more milk than the calf can use and was really strutted out on 2 teets. I went to local dairy today and he told me he should have a extra calf tomorrow i can put on her. I saved a half gallon of colostum and froze it so if i need it i will have it. I will post better pics of moma and the new baby tomorrow.

tinyliny 05-25-2012 04:20 AM

you never see cows like that around here. She 's cool.

apachewhitesox 05-25-2012 04:44 AM

Naww so cute. We used to have calves every year until we sold our cows I miss their cuteness lol.

Debbiesgypsy 05-25-2012 06:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is last years calf at 1 day old then again at 5 months old. Very fast growing cattle. The third pic is her first bull calf @2 months old and the last pic is of all my long eared cattle enjoying some alfalfa hay.

Kayella 05-25-2012 11:46 AM

Loooove me some Brahmans. I never showed a steer for FFA, but if I did, it'd have been a brahman.

Rancher 05-25-2012 06:33 PM

Big Brahma ranch not too far from here...the bulls are something else. As far as calves go, I never get tired of lookin at the little ones. :wink:

Roperchick 05-25-2012 06:37 PM

AAAAW i love me some brahmas but all we have is Charlotte/longhorn crosses

Debbiesgypsy 05-25-2012 06:45 PM

I really like the Brahman cows. They are great to work with and if you treat them right will stay gentle and easy to work with. The cows make real good mothers and give lots of milk and high butter fat. I just sold the last 3 of my cows that have no Brahman influence in them about 15 minutes ago. So now every thing i have is at least part Brahman/ Angus cross. I am really looking forward to next years batch of calves. Its going to be long ears every where.

Debbiesgypsy 05-25-2012 07:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some new pics. I have hobbles on mom since i am also milking her and dont like being kicked. Just look at all that ear. I think this calf is going to be a keeper.

Debbiesgypsy 05-25-2012 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of Dady( F1 brangus) and the little brindle cow.Dad looks mean as all get up but is really just a big baby. He just turned 2 years old in march. But as with all bulls i never trust him and always keep an eye on him when i am out with the cows. The little brindle cow is out of one of those Doctor Proctor bucking bull clones and a cow out of coyote Burger. I dont know much about her breeding or what all is in the works but i know she has Brahman in her blood. She is bred for a Febuary 17th 2013 calving date to the above bull.