Books for horse-learning :)
I'm wondering if you might have any good books on training/riding horses that would be useful to read more?
A little bit of background: I've been leasing a 16 y/o Arab for 11 months and took lessons before that (I still take regular lessons, but more like every couple of weeks instead of weekly). I ride approx 4x/week, and right now we're working on speed transitions within the canter (slow-fast-faster-slow) and a little bit of jumping. Every single time I ride I realize how many things I need to be working on, and it's almost overwhelming! I'm hoping that if I can read and find more information on the side, things will just eventually click.
I'm interested in riding, but also training. My instructor trains green and problem horses, and she's been teaching me a little bit of the basics on the side- so I would love to have some more information on it as well.
Any help is very appreciated :)
"think harmony with horses" by Ray Hunt
It is a great book that is very interesting.
You may want to do an internet search for how to lengthen/shorten stride lengths. A majority of us focus on the length of the stride, not the speed the horse goes. It's especially important in jumping so that you can set your horse up properly before the jump. Like if there's an odd line to a jump, you can either put in extra strides, or less strides, before the jump.
I'm mentioning this because you said you were working on "speed transitions"... the phrasing makes me think you aren't quite understanding what needs to be accomplished with that. Maybe you do, and I'm just thrown off by the wording....
Here are a few favorites from my library:
1. True Horsemanship Through Feel by Bill Dorrance
2. True Unity: Willing Communication Between Horse and Human by Tom Dorrance
3. Groundwork by Buck Brannaman
4. Horse Handling and Riding Through Feel by Leslie Desmond (audio book)
5. Three Masters, Three Legends (DVD series)
6. The Horseman's Gazette (quarterly video magazine by Eclectic Horseman Communications)
7. Anything by Martin Black
8. Colt Starting by Ray Hunt (DVD)
9. Jaquima a Freno series 1 and 2 by Richard Caldwell (DVD)
10. Dancing with Horses: The Art of Body Language by Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling
Awesome, thanks everyone! That will give me plenty of summer reading material. I went to an expo a few weeks ago and saw Martin Black- I bought some of his books there, but I'm done them now. This is fantastic, thank you!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0