The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Keeping mice out of your grain?... (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/keeping-mice-out-your-grain-124663/)

Wallaby 05-25-2012 07:06 PM

Keeping mice out of your grain?...

I never had this problem in Lacey's other pasture but in this one, she's basically in the midst of the woods so I guess a mouse problem makes sense...

Would a large RubberMaid tub do the trick? Basically the mice are just chewing through her bags of grain and helping themselves.
I would get a metal garbage can, I've heard those do the trick, but I don't know where you're get one of those...

I think these mice are basically partying in the tack room...There's mouse poop on all my stuff and they're sitting on my saddles to eat the grain they've stolen from Lacey's bags...as well as bringing seeds in from outside to eat, and leave the hulls of, on my saddles... Sneaky jerks! :evil:

The free food must stop!

DaraT 05-25-2012 07:15 PM

If the mice are determined and they usually are, they will chew thru a plastic tub eventually too. Try Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot or any other type of home improvement store for a metal garbage can. I would also invest in some bungee cords to help keep the lid on tight.

katbalu 05-25-2012 07:16 PM

We got an old broken freezer to put feed in. I would think you can get a metal can @ lowes/home depot/any hardware store.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe put an ad on craigslist looking for an old broken freezer. Cheap or free - maybe someone will want a broken one just hauled away.

themacpack 05-25-2012 08:46 PM

We have not had issues with our rubbermaid cans......though after four years the lids are starting to crack....even with known mice in the barn. However I have previously had the opposite experience. My preference is metal cans for smaller amounts/spaces or a freezer for large spaces/amounts. We will be replacing our cracking cans with metal this year.

HorsesAreMyPassion 05-25-2012 09:08 PM

I also use Rubbermaid cans to store my feed in, and I have never had any problems with the mice chewing them or getting into them. I do agree that if the mice are determined they could chew through the Rubbermaid container/cans. I think that metal cans would be the best choice, if you can find them, try the stores mentioned above, the home improvement and hardware stores should have them.

SunsettersGirl 05-25-2012 09:47 PM

we use a plastic garbage can for our grain and the mice have never gotten in it! its awesome!

Jake and Dai 05-25-2012 09:51 PM

I use just what DaraT suggested. I got a metal garbage can with lid at our local hardware store and secure a bungee cord from handle to handle. I get raccoons in my barn as well and sometimes I'll go in there, the can is on its side but the lid is still on super tight. So mouse proof and raccoon proof!

As a side note...we do use a humane trap to catch the masked bandits and DH will then release them in the woods at least 5+ miles away.

cakemom 05-25-2012 10:06 PM

Metal cans here, and lots of rat bait.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 05-25-2012 10:12 PM

I use the Rubbermaid containers, but I also have barn cats who take care of any rodents that DARE to go near the feed.

Britt 05-25-2012 10:48 PM

I have a blue tub from walmart with a lid. been using it for about a year now and nothing has gotten in it.