The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Here are my options, help please! :(

4K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  LovesMyDunnBoy 
#1 ·
Okay everyone, some of you may have been keeping up with my posts but got those of you who don't I'll give some details.

I have a 12 month old colt, who was both here. I have handled him like crazy, trying my best to be sure he turns out to be a good horse. I had wanted him to be an all around horse, jumping, roping, barrels, trails.

He is kept at my house, but we rent and are now moving into an apartment. My original plan was to keeo him at my boyfriend's, then I started thinking about the fact that he is ungelded. So far he's shown no intrest in the ladies, but it's possible. (I'll specify, he HAS NOT DROPPED YET) I thought keeping him with their cattle, but his Dad does not want to for some reason.

I made the decision that I think I should sell him. Which I don't want to do. I wanted 400, a friend of mine offered 200. I told her I would think about it. I didn't want to geld him now, but I may have to.

So it's:

Sell
Geld in the middle of summer
Or...? I don't know.

But I'm moving is 6 days and something needs to be done...
Posted via Mobile Device

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you should sell him. I think if you're that concerned, just go ahead and geld him. You bought him as a colt and it would be unfair to sell him now because he is that.

The cost of gelding him will be a very tiny investment for owning a nice gelding for the rest of his life.

#3 ·
I didn't buy him, I bought his momma and got a surprise lol. He is very special to me.

Do you have any idea what the average cost would be to geld him? I live in Texas.

I need to get the money myself... I'm not sure how in 6 days... I'll do what I can. I really do want to keep him.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
I didn't buy him, I bought his momma and got a surprise lol. He is very special to me.

Do you have any idea what the average cost would be to geld him? I live in Texas.

I need to get the money myself... I'm not sure how in 6 days... I'll do what I can. I really do want to keep him.
Posted via Mobile Device
What sticks in my mind most about your situation is that you do not have the money to geld him. If money is that tight I don't think you should own a horse. There are lots of other expenses with a horse and getting one gelded is a small one in the whole picture.

#4 ·
Well if you're considering selling him rather than gelding him he's probably not that special to you, or you wouldn't be considering that.

If you want to sell him just sell him to your friend. Really a $200 loss is pretty good (I think) and $200 in the horse world is not much at all. If you want a good quick sale I think thats the option to go with, and I definitely wouldn't pass it up for $200. I always attempt to bargain horse prices down (and I think most people inflate because of this) and generally I have saved more than $200.

If you like him a lot have him gelded. Unless I planned to use a horse for breeding, I'd have my male horses gelded, even if I were going to sell them on.

#5 ·
Oh then I definitely wouldn't sell him. Even though Saskia is right. $200 isn't bad for a foal. Still a bit of a deal, though.

I know here in College Station you can actually get on A&M's list and the students geld studs for like $60 twice a year. I think that's what I'll do with my stud colt.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
I don't WANT to sell him Saskia... But it's kinda like, me keeping him will be a burden on OTHER people, I'm just considerate of my boyfriend's dad and would hate to cause an inconvenience to him.

Although it would only be until January at the latest.

I have decided he could see it as a trade, because I am training his mare for free. I think I'm going to see what I can do about gelding him.

And ThirteenAcres, I live in Abilene. If I lived in CS I wouldn't have this issue because a member on the forum is actually offering free boarding lol. Darn, I wish I lived closer.

When you take a colt to to vet to be gelded, can you take them home the same day?
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
Oh, duur... Rofl. I feel sillly, I sure wish you were closer! And okay, would it be too stressful to.. Take him from my house, stop by the vets, geld him, then take him to boyfriend's? Or would it be too stressful to get gelded and put in a new place the same day?
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
LovesmyDunnboy you already know how I feel about it. I want you to keep him :)

I think it wouldn't be stressful at all. We had a recently gelded gelding moved witin a couple days to our barn and he was too focused on exercising to keep the swelling 'down there' down so it didn't stress him out at all.

I personally would not accept $200 for a well handled colt. If I were in your shoes.. nooo way!

Keeping him with cows isn't the best idea. Especially if they have their horns. Horses like to play and I can't imagine how many injuries he would get. Some horses can do it.. but a colt? I wouldn't.

Geld him, and I think you could avoid selling him

#11 ·
Well hete's how my situation with him is, I can afford his care as far as feed and all that, any emergency vet expenses my grandpa will take care of and I pay him back. He would pay for it if I asked, but I don't want to do that if I can work and pay it myself. We are also in the middle if moving which sucks up the extra money. I'm getting a job starting this summer until school starts, then again when I get my lisence in about January probably. Then I will take over all of his expenses as well as board him. But I won't have my "summer job" until maybe late June, and I'm moving in a week.

And thanks Sky :) I'm defiantly gonna do my best, I thought I was being a little unreasonable about the price, and that's why she offered so low.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
If his testicles are not descended into the scrotum, this will be a more expensive surgery, they may have to go into the belly to find the testicles. Most of the time, they go home the same day, unless it is a very hard surgery, then the vet might want to keep him.
But, this surgery for retained testicles WILL cost quite a bit more than a regular gelding, this might change your thinking process.

#15 ·
LOL that is how they all are... stress relievers and stress causers. But they are sooo worth it. I think you are doing the right thing by keeping him and getting him gelded. You have put alot of time and effort into making him into a good horse and it sounds to me like you are well on your way. I know what its like to be short on cash and dont think anyone should be judged on that aspect. Yeah I mean if you cant afford feed and regular maintenance that is one thing. But.... to be concerned about cost of vet services is completely normal. I mean we all want to save money and you are right in the middle of a move and have ways to cover vet fees. So it sounds to me like you are on the right track and making every effort to do right by your horse in your current situation. I wish you all the best. And keep us updated on how everything works out.

#17 ·
Your friends offer may not be that lowball:-(considering she has to worry about the gelding. It could be a regular gelding but if he doesn't drop you are looking at bill likely upward of $500.
Despite him not being dropped I would not be keeping around any mares.:shock:

Reactions: themacpack
#21 · (Edited)
^

Yep, which is why I want you to keep him! If you can.. if it's too much of a burden then do what's best.

Your friends offer may not be that lowball:-(
The gelding process doesn't have to be now, it can be down the road. The OP just wants to geld him so he doesn't get the mares at her gpa's pregnant.

I would be insulted if someone offered $200 for a yearling that's well handled. I mean, that's the same amount as a plain headstall and breast collar set! That's how much a really nice bit would cost.. or nice stirrup leathers. I mean that horse is going to grow up and be trained and he'll be really nice like tiny said in a VERY short time. $200 isn't what he's worth. At least double that.

$400 isn't that expensive for a yearling, at all. I've seen them closer to $600 or $800-$2000 for the "nice" ones.

#22 ·
At first I thought Tinyliny was agreeing with if I can't afford to geld him I don't need a horse, I apologize. I'm just having an awfully horrible day. I thought 400 was reasonable. Considering how much handling he has has had and he has lots of potential.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
She's on my list if I have to sell him. And his mom was registered, but I never got her papers. I lost contact information from her previous owners, so I'm not sure about his dad but I know they bred horses for a living and most of their horses were registered. As for confirmation, it's pretty good aside from a steep croup and his neck ties in low accorcding to some people but then again he is a quarter horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
I had someone out to look at him today, she has to work on her husband about the price. She came out today, and got him checked over health wise. He checked out fine, he could be wormd she said which I did yesterday. If we can agree on a price, she will be picking him up tomorrow... I just can't put other people out like that, and as much as I hate to admit it he just isn't what I need. I need a horse I can ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

#27 ·
It's basically, no matter what she offers she'll be taking him. I'm moving on Wednesday.. I don't exactly have room to be strict. But her husband was the one who low balled me, not her. She got her young daughter in on the "Pretty please daddy!" Thing, I'm sure I'll get at least 300 :) she told me I can see him anytime. I know she'll take care of him, so I'm happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

#30 ·
I was told (as she was unloaded off my the trailer at my house) that she MAY be in foal. I did everything to keep this colt including selling my riding horse and saddle and even putting off getting my lisence. And now they are on their way to pick him up... I'm so gonna cry :(
Posted via Mobile Device

#32 ·
I was taught something a LONG time ago that seems to get more true the longer I have horses.

Sometimes in order to 'win' in horses you have to 'lose' first. Lose the feed bill, lose the vet bill, lose the ferrier bill, lose the board bill (for those that board). In some situations the only way to 'make' money is to lose some first, then you can make it up in what you save.

Not real cheery advice but everytime I pretty much give away a horse for a lot less than I wanted, I remind myself that feed for one horse is about $2000/year, the ferrier is $300, the vet around $250 if I have no accidents, if the horse is at a trainer's barn then that's about $9600/year with no showing......and on and on and on. I generally feel better after I'm done running the numbers in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.