The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What the heck? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-heck-124689/)

Josh 05-25-2012 10:19 PM

What the heck?

So after having my horses teeth floated a few months ago an working through some "who's the boss" issues my horse started working great. I ride him two or three times a week and aside from not wanting to back up he has done everything I've asked. Three days ago I went to collect him from the pasture and when I took his halter to lead him home he started locking up like a mule. After walking him in circles a while I finally got him moving. Saddled him up an he started spooking at everything. He hasn't spooked in months. He has been this way for three days now. Any idea? Only thing new is he is on new pasture. He is overdue a hoofing...

Cowgirl140ty 05-25-2012 10:22 PM

Is his back sore? It may not be that he is spooking, but that he is trying to escape the pain?
Posted via Mobile Device

Josh 05-25-2012 10:30 PM

I don't think it's pain... I've been down that road with the teeth. He definitely spooked at the sound of a car door the other day. I'm wondering if dogs got after him on the new lot and has him worked up.

Cowgirl140ty 05-25-2012 10:38 PM

If you have ruled out pain. He may just need time to adjust to his surroundings. Some horses cahnge doesnt affect others need time to adjust. In his new pasture is there more commotion then his old? If so, it may just take hime realizing that all the new sights and sounds arent scary.
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 05-25-2012 10:43 PM

May be pasture is too rich? And you might want to have it tested to see by USDA agent, which is usually in bottom of courthouse here, but easily found.

I'd be willing to bet the difference in grazing is a lot of the problem here. And conversely, while you say no teeth problems, you haven't checked either, he could have bitten down on rock, cracking a tooth, or have twig, thorn or piece of wood stuck in mouth/gums/tooth and be more hypersensitive to stimuli because of that pain.

Josh 05-25-2012 10:48 PM

His new pasture is kind of an extension of his old one and he can access his old one or most of it. He is gelded could a mare coming in to season get him worked up? Also I just got to thinking we have been riding with his pasture mate a lot lately. Maybe he is buddy sore? I wouldn't think those things would get him spooky. Thanks for the help btw!

Duren 05-25-2012 10:49 PM

Have you checked is vision? Decline in vision could lead to spooking out of character.

COWCHICK77 05-25-2012 10:53 PM

Sounds like a new trick for testing you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-25-2012 10:55 PM

I find that a lot of spookiness and misbehaving goes away when they are tired enough. I'd recommend a nice LONNNG trail ride for him.

Josh 05-25-2012 10:57 PM

His teeth where floated bout 4 months ago... Pasture too rich? What would that do? There is a lot of clover there. I only give him access to it part of the day then on dirt with a couple pounds of grain every other day. He really looks great after just a week on the new grass. Nutrition is probably my weakest subject when it comes to horses.