The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help TICKS........ (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-ticks-124731/)

Mollysue 05-26-2012 09:26 AM

Help TICKS........

My horse is having a terrible issue with ticks deer ticks. The bite gets a big ***** knot. Taking them off properly, not a as much natural preventative though. All information welcome. The stalls have fly sprayers that come on regularly so I am afraid of too many chemicals. Thanks

Speed Racer 05-26-2012 10:04 AM

Unlike dogs, I don't think they make a spot on treatment like Frontline for horses. You'll just have to continue to check your horse for ticks daily, like everyone else.

dbarabians 05-26-2012 10:11 AM

I have found Endure to be very effective in keeping ticks off the horses,
Check your spray it should say kills ticks.
speedracer when I used the tubes of repellant on my horses I never had ticks. You might want to check thse out. Shalom

MyBoyPuck 05-26-2012 10:26 AM

I use Equispot. It is, in fact, like Frontline for dogs! It's about $15 for 3 tubes. Put it on every 2 weeks. I cannot definitively say it works, but have yet to find a tick on my horse when I'm using it, and twice he's gotten Lyme disease when I wasn't using it.

katbalu 05-26-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1517962)
I use Equispot. It is, in fact, like Frontline for dogs! It's about $15 for 3 tubes. Put it on every 2 weeks. I cannot definitively say it works, but have yet to find a tick on my horse when I'm using it, and twice he's gotten Lyme disease when I wasn't using it.

I never knew you could get rid of Lyme disease! I just looked it up because of your post. Learn something new every day :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 05-26-2012 10:33 AM

You can't get rid of Lyme disease, but keeping ticks off the horse in the first place is a logical starting point, which is what that stuff claims to do.

katbalu 05-26-2012 10:35 AM

You can with the right antibiotics (sometimes) or so I read.
Posted via Mobile Device
And if you can't get rid of it, how do you get it twice?

Miloismyboy 05-26-2012 10:39 AM

I also use Equispot and I definitely see far less ticks on my horses than when I'm not using it. I still find a few, but considering how bad this tick season I know it's making a huge difference.

MyBoyPuck 05-26-2012 10:41 AM

Ktbalu, you are misreading my post. The two times my horse got Lyme, I was not using equispot. Ticks were free to climb on and bite my horse thereby infecting him. My wording was deductive reasoning for why I believe equispot to be effective.

Yes you can treat lyme with doxyclyine, but it's far better to prevent ticks from biting in the first place. It's a very expensive treatment, and the virus is very hard to completely kill. Once a horse has had it once, he is far more suspectible to recurrence.

katbalu 05-26-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1517978)
Ktbalu, you are misreading my post. The two times my horse got Lyme, I was not using equispot. Ticks were free to climb on and bite my horse thereby infecting him. My wording was deductive reasoning for why I believe equispot to be effective.

Yes you can treat lyme with doxyclyine, but it's far better to
prevent ticks from biting in the first place. It's a very expensive treatment, and the virus is very hard to completely kill. Once a horse has had it once, he is far more suspectible to recurrence.

Aha. Interesting. I wasn't trying to be an ass btw, I was really interested.
Posted via Mobile Device