The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   pasture (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pasture-124737/)

hbmc15 05-26-2012 11:14 AM

pasture

I've recently bought two horses and right now they are on pasture that is pretty worn down and they get hay. We are bringing them home soon and our pasture has pretty tall grass and I see clover. I don't want them to founder or anything would it be okay to put them on the new pasture?

katbalu 05-26-2012 11:34 AM

Clover might make them drool for a bit. that's all I know about it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

hbmc15 05-26-2012 11:46 AM

So they should be okay? There is quite a bit of clover.

katbalu 05-26-2012 11:48 AM

I don't believe it does any harm, but I know less than most about this. I do know they need to be introduced very gradually to new pasture.
Posted via Mobile Device

nvr2many 05-26-2012 11:49 AM

I would start with a few hours and gradually increase it. Too much too soon may not be good.

Saddlebag 05-26-2012 11:53 AM

Generally the danger times with grass is during the rapid spring growth when the nights are still quite cool and the days fairly warm.

nvr2many 05-26-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1517996)
Generally the danger times with grass is during the rapid spring growth when the nights are still quite cool and the days fairly warm.

Agreed but too much too fast will cause problems. Changes should be made gradually.

rascalboy 05-26-2012 01:06 PM

Going from little/no grass, onto healthy grass could cause some issues. Start out for just a couple of hours a day, and increase it over the next few weeks. Yeah, it takes effort, but it ought to be done.
Just make sure you know how to keep your pasture healthy. I'm sure the barn's pasture started off just like your own pasture: healthy. And then horses got put onto it and it wasn't maintained properly.

mlkuhn12 05-26-2012 01:28 PM

My horse recently just had this issue, we moved him home from the barn I keep him at when I'm at school and the barn at home had really high grass. We started locking him up for the night in a place with very little grass and slowly decreasing his time locked up. He is now out 24/7. You could also maybe use a grazing muzzle to help them get adjusted.

hbmc15 05-26-2012 03:29 PM

I dont really have a place to lock him up could I put the muzzle on and take it off to let him eat every so often. We do have a run in I could put a gate on would it be best to put him in there with hay and let him out for a little a day.