The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Oiling Technique...help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-oiling-technique-help-12475/)

moomoo 07-30-2008 05:13 PM

Saddle Oiling Technique...help!

Well, I want to oil my saddle, but it has been 2 years ( :oops: i know - terrible!) and i can't remember how to do it, how long to leave it and whether to do the top where your butt goes :lol:

Any help would be appreciated :)

iridehorses 07-31-2008 07:05 AM

The way I do it is to use a paint brush and a spray bottle. I oil both sides of the leather and get in as far as I can with the brush and spray. I'll pull the leathers down so that I can get at the part that wraps around the tree and I'll take the stirrups off to get at the leathers there as well. Be sure to get the bottom side of the jockey.

The only time I would not do the seat would be if it was suede, otherwise "yes".

Since it's been a while since you've oiled your saddle I would let it soak in over night. BTW, before I oil my saddles, I clean them with Murphy's Oil Soap first.

moomoo 08-01-2008 05:14 PM

ok so i have washed and oiled it :) the black sucked up the oil in about a minute :shock: and the brown took a few hours. I just put more oil on the black and it sucked it up quickly again...

Do i put yet more oil on the black bits?

and what next? wash again then soap or just soap it :D thank you!

iridehorses 08-01-2008 05:57 PM

I would add more oil to the black - at least one more time. If it is soaking it up that fast it must have really needed it. Be sure to oil both sides of the leather.

As for the soap, that should have been done first. Use the saddle soap (or glycerin, or Murphy's Oil Soap) after each ride. That way you will keep it clean and protect the leather between oiling.

HooverH 08-01-2008 09:28 PM

You can also get a suede cleaner for the seat, it's spray on and wipe off. If it gets smooth from it, you can take a stiff brush (like a cowboy brush) and rough it up again.

Fox Hollow Deb 08-02-2008 05:55 PM

try not to put on a heavy coat of oil, it's better to do several light coats. let it dry for 12 hours or more if you can, then apply another light coat. If it's really that dry, I'd do another clean and oil session in a week, too.