The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Fencing on a budget! (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/fencing-budget-124801/)

WesternBella 05-26-2012 09:22 PM

Fencing on a budget!
 
What are some cost-efficient ideas you have/have used for building fencing? (Outdoor arena & paddocks!)

I already found a really cheap idea from HGS for an outdoor arena; wooden fence posts with 2 holes drilled through them and rope threaded through them.

Any other ideas or things you have done?
Posted via Mobile Device

aspin231 05-27-2012 03:16 AM

I would strongly suggest that you don‘t go the route of rope fencing! There may as well be nothing there if the animal ever tests it.
Is this temporary or permanent fencing?
Fencing should be an investment- in the safety of both your livestock and the people and roads surrounding.
That being said, high-tensile or electric wire are both very cost-effective and safe (if properly electrified) options.
Please keep your horses safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

kim_angel 05-27-2012 08:52 AM

We have used electric rope for years now. As long as it is electrified, you should have no problem with it. We used landscape ties from Home Depot for the posts.

MHFoundation Quarters 05-27-2012 09:07 AM

I re-did our stud lots last summer. I wanted serious fencing. We had a storm come through with straight line winds & tornado activity a few miles from us. It sheared a large amount of electric/utility poles. My hubby splices cable fiber and was out working on clean up, talking to the electric company guys and horses came up. A couple days later I got a flatbed load of treated telephone poles that had broke off.

Cut them into 10 ft lengths, buried 4 ft, 6 up. Made awesome fence posts and didn't cost me a dime. You might call your local electric company and ask what they do with old poles that they replace.

I have regular red brand horse fence for my outdoor because it does double duty as dry lot if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternBella 05-27-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspin231 (Post 1518951)
I would strongly suggest that you don‘t go the route of rope fencing! There may as well be nothing there if the animal ever tests it.
Is this temporary or permanent fencing?
Fencing should be an investment- in the safety of both your livestock and the people and roads surrounding.
That being said, high-tensile or electric wire are both very cost-effective and safe (if properly electrified) options.
Please keep your horses safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you may have read my post wrong, I wanted to do rope fencing for an outdoor riding arena. Since we're not exactly keeping the horse's in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-27-2012 12:15 PM

My first thought about the rope is the same. If your horses spook or decide to bolt, the rope probably wouldn't hold and as they go through, might tangle in their legs. None of that's pretty all by itself, downright ugly if there's a rider up. I wouldn't use rope, unless it was electrified.

WesternBella 05-27-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1519127)
I re-did our stud lots last summer. I wanted serious fencing. We had a storm come through with straight line winds & tornado activity a few miles from us. It sheared a large amount of electric/utility poles. My hubby splices cable fiber and was out working on clean up, talking to the electric company guys and horses came up. A couple days later I got a flatbed load of treated telephone poles that had broke off.

Cut them into 10 ft lengths, buried 4 ft, 6 up. Made awesome fence posts and didn't cost me a dime. You might call your local electric company and ask what they do with old poles that they replace.

I have regular red brand horse fence for my outdoor because it does double duty as dry lot if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a great idea!! I am trying to decide between wood fencing & mesh wire fencing. Anyone have any pros & cons they'd like to share?
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternBella 05-27-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1519265)
My first thought about the rope is the same. If your horses spook or decide to bolt, the rope probably wouldn't hold and as they go through, might tangle in their legs. None of that's pretty all by itself, downright ugly if there's a rider up. I wouldn't use rope, unless it was electrified.

The thing that comes with that though is the chance that a rider/horse may brush up against it. I am really against electric fencing for the simple fact of horses & riders getting a shock when it wasn't necessary. Causing more trouble than it needs to.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 05-27-2012 12:19 PM

Wood fencing is definately high maintenance compared to wire mesh.
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternBella 05-27-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1519272)
Wood fencing is definately high maintenance compared to wire mesh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, I can totally understand why...
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0