The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Getting His Head Up (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/getting-his-head-up-124812/)

barrelracer11 05-26-2012 10:57 PM

Getting His Head Up

So last year I got a registered quarter horse gelding from my trainer. He was started on barrels but no where near finished. He was only 9 and a World Champion Cutting horse and heeler. I finished him on barrels completely myself and then showed him later that year. He did awesome and placed top five at EVERY show we went to! He is just one of the horses pure speed. The only problem I have is he always would get really low on the barrel and wrap his face right around the base almost like he was cutting it! Haha! As I started him again this spring he did the same thing except now he was coming out of the barrels waaayyy to wide. I just cannot figure out how to get him to come out closer. If I pull his head he hits it on the barrel and if I put my leg into his side he just swings his butt way out. I need advice! He placed 2nd at the our first show and only show yet this year in barrels running like this but I think its wasting to much time! :?

QHriderKE 05-26-2012 11:00 PM

A bit with more lift to it might help, as well as doing a lot of slow work around the barrels, using your outside rein to help keep that shoulder up. Also, Make sure you're giving him a big enough pocket!

greenbryerfarms 05-26-2012 11:02 PM

What's wrong with him cutting them? I'm no expert just cerious why you want to change this behavior
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 05-26-2012 11:07 PM

If she can get more lift out of him, it might help him get around the barrel faster and take off after the barrel faster, I believe.

greenbryerfarms 05-26-2012 11:12 PM

So I shouldn't be yanking myhorses head down? Grrrrr trainers these days! And I woundered why he was not as happy stupid me. I'm sorry op no advice
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelracer11 05-26-2012 11:17 PM

OHriderKE: I have tried two different bits, done slow work (which he does the barrels perfect then!), used my outside rein, and even overexaggerated the pocket! I just can't get him to do it! I took him to my trainer and he said just keep working with him but nothing seems to work!

greenbryerfarms: In some horses this would be fine but you really want a smooth turn and get around quick but still lined up for the next barrel. The way his doing it he is cutting as he goes around and then coming out at a weird angle that is too wide! This just messes up his alignment for the next barrel and takes up time!

barrelracer11 05-26-2012 11:19 PM

Oops you posted as I was writing! My computer is too slow to update automatically! Haha! It's fine! Glad this may have helped you out though! Haha!

1RedHorse 05-26-2012 11:39 PM

You don't use the outside rein to keep a horses shoulder up....think about it....that shoulder can drop as low as it wants.
Inside leg....ribcage rounded...

OP we can be more help if you post a video?
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelracer11 05-26-2012 11:43 PM

I use inside rein to guide his shoulders around the barrel, a loose outside rein on his neck and my outside leg pushing.