The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Educate me in conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/educate-me-conformation-124868/)

littrella 05-27-2012 03:42 PM

Educate me in conformation

4 Attachment(s)
This is Jack, my 5$ auction rescue. I no nothing about conformation & when & IF I ever add to my heard, I'd like to know what to look for

lilruffian 05-28-2012 04:00 PM

He's certainly a cutie.
Not a bad shoulder. Neck needs muscling.
Front legs look ok. Pasterns maybe a bit long.
Back is long.
I love his hindquarters.
Hard to really judge his back legs without him standing square, but possibly just a tad sickle-hocked.
Overall, he's not too terribly built.

stevenson 05-28-2012 04:14 PM

You did good !. he is not sickle hocked, you can tell that from the last pic.
his shoulder and hip angles match. he looks to be a very nice horse. He could use a few groceries but is not in bad shape. why was he dumped for such a low price? You can google confirmation in horses .

blue eyed pony 05-28-2012 09:55 PM

I disagree, Stevenson. The last pic is what SHOWS that he's a tad sickle hocked. His hock is level with the point of his butt and it still angles forward just a bit from top to bottom. That's a sickle hock. Not a bad one though.

Really, his faults are all fairly minor, bar the long back which won't affect him unless you want to do high level collection or put a heavy rider on him. I like him, you did really well.

littrella 05-28-2012 10:42 PM

Thanks everybody! I've had him for almost 2 years now. He's 4 now & when I got him, the vet didn't think I could save him. He only weighed 500 pounds. The farrier has told me that he's toe'd in on the back but not bad. We're working on ground work & hoping that he'll make a good trail horse

tinyliny 05-28-2012 10:51 PM

HIs front right knee or leg looks odd in the photo, but I think that might just be the photo. HIs back is on the long side, his hip is great, nice short rear canons, I see mild sickle hocked but really mild. Actually, he's a very nice looking fellow. What a steal!