The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Best horse dewormers and joint supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/best-horse-dewormers-joint-supplements-124883/)

Mwdew 05-27-2012 07:07 PM

Best horse dewormers and joint supplements

I have two horses a quarter horse (Blaze) and a giant Belgian (Dave). I call Dave a giant Belgian because he is bigger than the average Belgian. He is about 3 inches taller than me at his should, I am about 6 foot with my boots on so that makes him about 6'3 foot at the shoulder. Anyways, I need to get some dewormer for Dave and Blaze because it has been a while since they have got any. I also want to get some joint supplements for Dave because he doesn't seem to want to move his joints much. I am pretty sure Dave has joint problems because of his size he weighs well over 2,000 pounds. So any help on what joint supplements would be the best for Dave and what dewormers would be the best for Blaze and Dave, would really be appreciated.

Kayty 05-28-2012 01:31 AM

Wormers depend entirely on where you are located and what type of worm management program you have in place where your horses are boarded.

As for joint supplements, have you have a vet assess this lameness? That would be the starting point, find out what the issue is and treat from there.
I feed my horses MSM as a precautionary measure and have had good results with this. However it doesn't mask pain or fix existing problems. Find out exactly what is wrong, and go from there.

Mwdew 05-28-2012 07:36 AM

He isn't lame. I can tell its just arthritis. Belgians are different than smaller horses. Their weight alone really takes a tole on their joints. He moves like my old dog did before I started giving him joint supplements, moves his legs fine just doesn't want to move his joints too much. As far as warmers go I open the barn doors and they just come in and out as they please. They usually stay inside during the heat of the day and come out in the evening (whenever it starts to cool off).

OwnedByAlli 05-28-2012 07:47 AM

The vet can assess how sever the arthritis/lameness (arthritis is a type of lameness) is and reccomend the best suplements and dosages for you to best help your horse.

For wormers, its a good idea to get a feacal worm egg count to find out if there is a need for worming, and what kind of worms the wormer needs to kill. The vets will do this for a small price- less than the cost of a wormer so its deffinatly worth it!

Jumper12 05-28-2012 08:09 AM

yeah wormer depends entirely on what type of worms it is youre trying to kill. have a fecal count done on both the horses and the vet can tell you which dewormer to use if they test positive. that way you are only deworming for what the horses actually have. if they do test positive you should do a second fecal test done once the dewormer has had time to act to make sure your horses are worm free :)

Mwdew 05-28-2012 10:20 AM

Could I do the worm egg count myself? Because I really don't have the money to get a vet. I only have $70 and I really don't want pay a vet just to tell me he needs a joint supplement. I was thinking about getting this for Dave's joint supplement and this for a dewormer

nvr2many 05-28-2012 10:43 AM

In the spring, I start with Equimax, then rotate between, ivermectin and pyrantel after that.

Cinnys Whinny 05-28-2012 10:54 AM

Egg count is the best way to go, unless you have a microscope and the know how, you can't do it yourself. Most vets around here only charge about 15-20 bucks to do it and then they tell you what wormer to get if any so that you can get what you need for what your horse has. Each type of wormer is for a different type of parasite and you don't really want to give him something that won't kill off what he has and leave what he has untreated.

you could go the once a month rotation route (the old school way), which means you give him a different one each month (look at the active ingredient, not brand name) and you MUST do it every month to catch EVERYTHING. Eventually you will get them all. Just a word of caution, if your horse has a sensitive stomach, this can cause problems as wormers will make the tummy troubles 10 times worse for a week or so. If your horse has gastric reflux or is on his way to ulcers, it may push him over the edge (this happend with Cinny). Ulcer treatments are about 40 bucks a day....FOR A MONTH! I don't mean to scare you but keep a close eye on your horse's behavior, poop, etc if you choose this route... sometimes they only seem to be misbehaving when in actuality their tummy is hurting and they are in a lot of pain. It's also a good idea to give them something like ProBios for a while after worming because wormers also kill of the good bacteria that is supposed to be there...causing issues. The ProBios or something like it will help reestablish that....sort of like eating yogurt :)

I think it may be ok to give the joint supplements. It may make him feel better. Keep a watch out for heat or other signs of injuries in his legs and joints. Give him something simple to start with, even MSM. If it seems to help then all's good, if not there may be some underlying damage or problem somewhere and I would have a vet diagnose the situation.

Mwdew 05-28-2012 11:01 AM

Yeah I am going to give him the joint supplements and if he isn't showing any improvement within 2 weeks, I'll call a vet but I have looked closely at his legs and I believe its just arthritis. Neither of them have stomach problems so I am not too worried about that, so I should just treat them with a different kind of wormer each month? (I don't think they have worms I just want to protect them from getting any)

Kayty 05-28-2012 07:40 PM

It's going to be more expensive for you to just worm every month, than get a worm count done and have to worm each change of season to get rid of whatever species of worm the horse is carrying.
Wormer's don't protect the horse against getting worms, they kill the worms that the horse is already carrying.