The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Keeping geldings & mares together? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/keeping-geldings-mares-together-124886/)

WesternBella 05-27-2012 08:29 PM

Keeping geldings & mares together?

Is it ok to keep geldings & mares together?
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 05-27-2012 08:31 PM

It should be fine. it all depends on the dispositions of the horses.
We keep our 2 geldings and 2 mares together and they get along fine....they just all keep out of Sugars way :P
But theres really no problem that i can see with it.

Puddintat 05-27-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternBella (Post 1519641)
Is it ok to keep geldings & mares together?
Posted via Mobile Device

My gelding lives with a mare.

Saskia 05-27-2012 08:45 PM

I have a mare in with other horses and by far the mares cause more problems than the geldings. Everyone just bosses around the gelding, the mares get a bit vicious.

Now my mare is just in with the gelding (she was kicked in the shoulder by a mare and is healing) and she is getting along great, but there is always conflict among the mares.

Arksly 05-27-2012 08:50 PM

More often than not I find that a mare and a gelding will get along better than two mares. However, I have known some geldings that can't Ben with mares without always mounting them. The particular horse I'm talking about was a stallion until he was eight though.

Prinella 05-27-2012 09:07 PM

We have senile old boy who has decided he is a stallion again. As long as he's with his wives he's happy, he was chasing the other gelding away so we moved him. If left with no wives he screams and runs the fence.

It works well though because the 3 mares are never all out at once. We have had to resort to tying him on the same side of the float as prin when we're out but he's happy there.
Posted via Mobile Device

kayleeloveslaneandlana 05-27-2012 09:15 PM

Almost always geldings are fine with mares. Our "herd" has 9 geldings and 5 mares. We have never had a problem.

SMCLeenie 05-27-2012 09:19 PM

My gelding is on pasture board with several mares and other geldings, and we have never had a problem.

Skyseternalangel 05-27-2012 09:25 PM

It should be fine, as everyone said. Just watch out that the geldings don't get possessive.. that's when problems start up.

VanillaBean 05-27-2012 09:58 PM

More than ok. My mares prefer the gelding to each other. He really balances the hormones!