The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   lacking confidence (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/lacking-confidence-124931/)

oobiedoo 05-28-2012 05:27 AM

lacking confidence

Hi, Im new here. I bought a rescued standardbred almost a year ago now. Judy Judy Big Ears is around 20 yrs old by my vets estimate. I got her for my granddaughter to learn on, she's 3yrs old and of course with her age and }uju was sooo skinny to begin with the only riding has been walking her around the yard and neighborhood on a lead line. Now Juju has put on weight, beautiful shine on her coat and she is close to perfect on the ground. She never sees boogers, she doesn't bite, kick, or mind a 3yr old running around her. She's an absolute dream for the farrier. The thing is now its time to move forward, I need to ride her to be able to advance Chloe further than a walk on a leadline. I used to ride anything when I was younger now I admit Im a little afraid. I bought a helmet for me today and Im going to lunge first and start out in my fenced backyard with my daughter there in case I do get tossed off and need help. Is there anything else I should do to make this easier? Im really hoping it goes well because she is such a good girl in every other way. Keep your fingers crossed for us, Im determined to do this today. Don't know when I turned into such a chicken.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoveHipHop 05-28-2012 09:06 AM

Hey you're not a chicken lol! Every time I get on a horse I feel at least a tiny bit nervous - I think if you didn't, you'd be overconfident really. What helps me is that, if I think I might fall off, or the horse might spook or whatever, what's the worst that could happen? With all the protective gear and your daughter with you too, you'll be well prepared for whatever happens. PLus, she sounds like a lovely horse so i'm sure she will go well for you :)

Remember, if you feel nervous she might too, and that's when things might get awkward so just don't worry and have fun! Once you get on and get riding you'll forget your nerves!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

littrella 05-28-2012 09:42 AM

I'm in your shoes as well. After a bad wreck, I got out of horses for several years. Then I when and got a rescue. Scared to death to ride him! I'm taking lessons to help my get over my fears. It's been great so far. You might give that a try

Skyseternalangel 05-28-2012 10:18 AM

Well you grew up (don't take that the wrong way please) and realized that you can get hurt and you're not invincible. No worries, I feel the same way too as do many members of the forums :P

Just take it nice and slow, little baby steps. If she tests you.. stand your ground.

Has she been under saddle before?

And yeah if you can, best to have lessons.

oobiedoo 05-28-2012 06:46 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

oobiedoo 05-28-2012 07:04 PM

I did it, I rode Judy Judy Big Ears this afternoon. Nothing impressive just 10 to 15 minutes in the back yard. Its so hot and very humid here today so by the time I cleaned her up, tacked up and lunged a little bit. we were both already sweaty so I just walked around,stop,turn,walk on kinda thing. After I got up there she did turn lmaround and give me a look like, oh that's where went. Lotta work for 10 minutes of riding but its a start. She is such a good girl. Does anyone else here have standardbred? I just wondered if this calm temperament is typical of the breed.
Posted via Mobile Device

soenjer55 05-28-2012 07:13 PM

She sounds like a doll, so glad that everything went well!

Tejas 05-28-2012 08:34 PM

AWE im glad it went well! How do you feel?

oobiedoo 05-28-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas (Post 1521240)
AWE im glad it went well! How do you feel?

Posted via Mobile Device

oobiedoo 05-28-2012 10:19 PM

I feel good, it was a short ride but a good one. A beginning. .
Posted via Mobile Device