The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Which jumping boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/jumping-boots-124944/)

Enderous 05-28-2012 09:40 AM

Which jumping boots?

G'day there,

I am just starting to jump my 6yo 17hh Clydesdale cross, and was wondering what boots people would recommend. Mainly for the hind legs as I don't want him getting sore at all. At the moment I am using open front on the front and nothing on the back, or polo bandages for small jumps or pole work.

Good or bad opinions.

Thanks,

HorsesAreMyPassion 05-28-2012 10:52 AM

Open front tendon boots for the front and fetlock boots for the back are normally used for show jumping.

The open front tendon boots will protect the sides and the back of the horse's legs from brushing and overreaching injuries. The open front tendon boots are open at the front to allow the horse to feel if he hits a jump rail. Fetlock boots will protect the inside of the hind fetlocks from brushing injuries.

For cross country jumping, brushing boots for the front and the back are most commonly used. They offer the most protection to the horse's legs from brushing and knocks and bumps. I really like Woof Wear brushing boots.

Polo wraps are a good choice for schooling on the flat with some pole work and small jumps. If your horse tends to brush, then you could also school in brushing boots for both the front and the back as well. Sometimes, though, if your horse tends to be careless with his legs when jumping and knock the jump rails a lot, then they may not be the best choice.

Enderous 05-28-2012 11:00 AM

Thanks HAMP!

He doesn't brush or overreach, he's a clydie x so he's wide set. :)

I've jumped him over logs in the paddock and he's great, sets himself up pretty much. But when I've got the poles out (currently 100mm using PVC pipe) he gets lazy and is more likely to knock, both with front and back. I don't want him to get lazy when we are out and knock something solid, and doing real damage.

Enderous 05-28-2012 11:03 AM

Would then, something like splint boots be kinda useless?

HorsesAreMyPassion 05-28-2012 11:20 AM

Splint boots are basically the same thing as brushing boots, they will protect your horse's legs from brushing, knocks and bumps.

You could use the polo wraps on both the front and the back legs, as you were, for schooling in the ring. For hacking out, in the fields and trails, the splint or brushing boots for both the front and the back legs would be a better choice. I don't like to use polo wraps if I'm riding out where there could be a chance of them catching on something.

Enderous 05-28-2012 11:30 AM

Thanks. Splint boots it is! (They are also heaps cheaper than the fancy jump/brushing boots.) If my horses started knocking tho, I'd definitely cough up some cash and get something more decent. :)

And yeah, I've had polo bandages fall off after 2 hours in the area ... I need to use more tape!

Thanks for your help!

cuttinmom 05-29-2012 01:46 PM

I use RES Equine Splint boots and Polo Wraps. They have replaceable Velcro! Awesome. www.resboot.com Try them You will really like them