The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Buck Brannaman anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/buck-brannaman-anyone-124947/)

BoldComic 05-28-2012 11:50 AM

Buck Brannaman anyone?

I watched the documentary on Buck (It was called "Buck") a little while ago and was very impressed by him and his methods. I liked that he worked with the horse but was very firm and didn't let the animal get away with bad behavior. I also liked that he talked frank and honestly with the people as well. No sugar coating it for Buck. He just lays it all out there.

I was wondering if anyone has been to one of his clinics or ridden in one? All of his 2012 clinics are full but I am really considering riding in one of his "Horse 1" clinics next year. Comic and I could really benefit I think. He is a willing horse but sometimes I am at a loss as to how to communicate with him. He also has a pretty hard mouth due to racing and I'm having a hard time getting him to soften. I think Buck's clinic could really help us out. Any thoughts?

tinyliny 05-28-2012 03:19 PM

I cannot imagine anyone who would not benefit from a clinic with Buck. But, from what I've heard, they can be a bit crowded and you have to ride in groups comfortably, in all gaits.

nvr2many 05-28-2012 03:24 PM

I loved watching that. Never seen a horse attack like the colt did before, wow. Anyway, if you can do it I would jump at the chance!!!

COWCHICK77 05-28-2012 03:30 PM

50 Attachment(s)
If you are not into all the "fluff" I think he would be good to ride with. But if someone expects to be coddled, not so much. Like you said, he doesn't sugar coat.
I am not much on the big clinician fad, but I would go to one of his. I had an opportunity to be a spectator at one a couple of months ago close by and unfortunately was unable to attend at the last minute. I have a friend of a friend connection that might be able to get me in on a private one next year, but I am not holding my breath!

So, yes, IMO, you should go....I would :)
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenBackJack 05-29-2012 02:05 AM

Absolutely do go. You can learn from anyone if your mind is open...even if it's just how not to do a thing, perhaps even more valuable, though I suspect you'll learn some very good things from him.

Ambrose 05-29-2012 01:10 PM

How funny I just posted something similar! I ordered one of his DVDs to start with called groundwork. Cause I know groundwork is the most important even for a horse who is broke to ride.
I did sign up for one of his clinics around here but only to watch! (alot more of those open!) So I think that will give me good tips still and next time I can sign up with my horse and give me an idea on what to expect. :)

lilruffian 05-29-2012 01:33 PM

I would definitely go! I just got back from a level 1 Glenn Stewart clinic and had a blast!
Make sure it is a riding clinic, though, if thats what you want to concentrate on because most will start you from the ground in level 1 and do minimal riding.
All the ground exercises are designed to transfer to the saddle, so if Buck is like any other NH trainer he will start you there.
I loved his documentary as well!

Speed Racer 05-29-2012 01:39 PM

I'd love to clinic with Buck, and I'm not a 'follow the latest guru of the moment' type.

I've been to a Julie Goodnight clinic as a spectator. A friend of mine thinks she's the cat's pajamas, so we went. I have to say, she's a decent instructor and doesn't coddle the riders or horses.

AHiddenStar 05-29-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 1520824)
I loved watching that. Never seen a horse attack like the colt did before, wow. Anyway, if you can do it I would jump at the chance!!!

When I watched the documentary, I was SHOCKED when that colt bit his face. I did NOT see that coming. Holy cow!:shock:

nvr2many 05-29-2012 01:58 PM

He will be here in Oregon July 6-9th. Classes are full but spectators are welcome. I wonder if this means you can just show up?? Does anyone know if you have to get tickets to watch ahead of time or just go??