The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Are we doing good so far? Opinions on when she's ready to ride in the big pasture (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/we-doing-good-so-far-opinions-124991/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-28-2012 05:17 PM

Are we doing good so far? Opinions on when she's ready to ride in the big pasture

Hey everyone! Summer break is about to start here, woo! :D

Okay! So I'm training my boyfriend's mare. She is a paint, about to be three years old. Her name is Brassus.

Some history, they caught her as a six month old. She was emaciated, skinny, had an eye injury. (she still has it, I'm not sure what caused it. I think she has a little vision loss as she is spookier on that side)

Anyway, they put weight on her and all that but didn't exactly teach her good ground manners. She pushy and impacient, testy... But she's manageable.

My boyfriend's friend worked with her twice. (saddled and lead with someone on her) Then wasn't allowed to anymore because he waaay overworked her.

His dad then asked me to. So I have put two rides on her. Saddled with reins attatched to her halter.

I saddle her, then move the saddle side to side, hit the seat, flap the sturrips, drop the cinch off the other side on purpose to desensitize her. She takes it all good.

Once I'm on her we stretch, I ask her to bring her nose around and reach for my toes on both sides. I rub all over her shoulders, neck butt, take my feet and move around on her shoulders and chest. Then ask to move forward but a tap with my legs and a kissy sound, no movement then a harder kick and kissy sound, then raising my hand continuing to kick (not hard) then a smack on the booty with the cotton split reins. She usually moves off on at least the harder kick, it rarely takes a smack.

She turns decent, gets kinda stubborn.. She usually won't walk very far but it's a start right.

I brought my bit yesterday because they only had curb bits, my bit is a copper-mouthed single-jointed egg-buty snaffle. I put it on her once we were done riding and let her wear it while I unsaddled her and brushed her. She just mouthed it but eventually stopped and let it sit, then I took it off.

Then we did a short groundwork session, with me walking and stopping and changing direction so she had to pay attention or trip or get popped in the chest for running into me. Lots of backing out of my space, hind yeilding.. She did good then got to get put up.

Am I doing good? And so far we ride in a fairly closed area, what should she be able to do here before we can go ride in a 15 acre pasture?

Thanks for your time! I'll start a training thread for her soon :)
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-28-2012 06:53 PM

No one? I'd like a little critique guys!
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 05-28-2012 08:10 PM

Yes. I think , however, that you should also be able to "send" her . not just lead her , but make her move around you , like lunging. She should do that with the saddle on, and if you have the ability to use a round pen and have her move out with the saddle on, this would be good, too. So, she knows that she CAN move with the saddle on, at all gaits , and the flapping of it wont' freak her.

Make sure she can handle things up above her head, so that when yoiu are on her and raise your hands upward and she sees it out of the corner of her eye, she does't freak.

Get on and off her many times.

handle a rope all over her body, between her legs and teach her to allow you to pick u her feet with a line of rope.

get her to back up, with that saddle on, and then with you in it.
back up is foundation to stop.

That's all I can think of. I have only ever watched a colt being backed once, so my experience is limited at best.

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-28-2012 09:02 PM

I should have mentioned, I have lunged her in her pen. Only walk and trot because most of the time I get to go out there it's wet.

I don't tip toe, I move around like I want and.if she spooks at it I keep doing it until she relaxes then finish what I was doing.

And we do back up sometimes. I don't want her doing when I ask something else though.

I will do the rope stuff, thank you! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Ian McDonald 05-28-2012 09:58 PM

If you're in the pasture and the mare takes off at a run and doesn't stop until she reaches the other side, can you ride it? In that situation, can you hang onto her mane to stay out of her mouth and let her go? Can you direct her in a huge circle only gradually so as not to make her fall as you're likely to do if you grab a one-rein stop suddenly from the gallop? Then gradually ease her down through the lope, to the trot, to the walk and finally stop when she's ready to stop? The question is, will you panic in that situation or be cool? How confident are you?

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-28-2012 10:24 PM

I'm very confident with horses, this same mare used to charge me in the round pen and managed to stand my ground. I keep my nerves calm, so not to upset the horse. I think I could ride it out just fine, as when I first started riding at nine the gelding took off and ran over about 30 acres of land and I stayed om. I've been riding four years since then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 05-28-2012 10:33 PM

I think you are in too much of a hurry to ride her. The groundwork needs more work. She needs to learn what you are asking of her. If she gets the correct signal, she will respond. If incorrect, it's unfair to hope she will respond as you want.

tbubak 05-28-2012 10:54 PM

I agree with saddlebag. dont rush it. It sounds like you are doing a good job on the ground so far. keep working on it. My horses are really broke, but i always to alot of ground work after some time off. Especially if my kids are going to ride them. Better safe then sorry. Take your time, dont rush it. Keep moving her feet, gain some more respect, and be safe. its hard to ride with broken bones.

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-28-2012 11:08 PM

I work on both each time, mainly because her owner (boyfriend's dad) wants her broke soon. Which I normally wouldn't do it this way... But hopefully this summer I'll be able to work with her daily. That way, I can back off in the saddle and work on the ground more. (because his dad won't be around)
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 05-28-2012 11:13 PM

From now on, we will being doing groundwork only. She'll still get saddled, but not mounted. I'm going to with with her on patience, and pushiness. She needs a bit of work picking up her feet, and leading without pushing on me. She's just been allowed to do it so much.

Would it be okay to work her in the bit? Flexing (like carrot stretches) and ground driving?
Posted via Mobile Device