The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Building own stall, is this ok? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/building-own-stall-ok-125021/)

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 05-28-2012 10:33 PM

Building own stall, is this ok?
 
We are looking at building 2 stalls, one for Curly and one for Nikki.

Will 4 metres by 3 metres be allright?

Until we live there they will only be in there if the weather is crappy or the night before a show.

When we live there they will be in there most nights.

Curly is a 15.2 1/2 standardbred mare

Nikki is a 16.1 ish ClydesdaleXQH mare

PaintHorseMares 05-28-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurlyIsASpecialStandie (Post 1521464)
We are looking at building 2 stalls, one for Curly and one for Nikki.

Will 4 metres by 3 metres be allright?

Until we live there they will only be in there if the weather is crappy or the night before a show.

When we live there they will be in there most nights.

Curly is a 15.2 1/2 standardbred mare

Nikki is a 16.1 ish ClydesdaleXQH mare

That is a pretty standard size for stalls (10'x10' or 10'x12' in the US).

BarrelWannabe 05-28-2012 10:40 PM

That's a little small for over night.
I'd do either 14x14 or 14x12(feet)
Posted via Mobile Device

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 05-28-2012 10:52 PM

PaintHorseMares - Have you ever had any issues with these size stalls?

BarrelWannabe - Have you had issues with the smaller stalls?

stevenson 05-28-2012 11:01 PM

smaller stalls for larger horses can increase the number of times a horse can get cast. If your horses are not big rollers , then a 10 x 10 would work for overnight,if you plan to keep them 'box stalled' I would opt for the larger stalls if it is in the Budget.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 05-28-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenson (Post 1521522)
smaller stalls for larger horses can increase the number of times a horse can get cast.

Well the 3X4 is larger than 12footX12foot in one direction.
Can they still get cast if the panels/walls are solid?

I beleived that happened when they rolled/layed down and got a leg stuck under a rail or plank.

Correct me if im wrong!

BarrelWannabe 05-28-2012 11:10 PM

I haven't had an issue with that size but it's best to think for the future.
What if they need to be in for a few days rather than over night. I think if you can manage a large stall, go for it. It will be more beneficial in the long run.

I would also opt for solid walls. Less chance of injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 05-28-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelWannabe (Post 1521539)
I haven't had an issue with that size but it's best to think for the future.
What if they need to be in for a few days rather than over night. I think if you can manage a large stall, go for it. It will be more beneficial in the long run.

I would also opt for solid walls. Less chance of injury.
Posted via Mobile Device

We have never needed a stall before and we only really need it for bad weather/shows and just because i like the idea of them being cosy and warm in their bedrooms :P


We are defenently having solid walls, shed type metal with wood over the top (in case of any kicking)

Dad said that 3X4 was easiest because of the weight bearing poles etc in the shed but i will talk to mum about the size.

I dont want anyone getting hurt!

caseymyhorserocks 05-31-2012 08:36 PM

Cast is when they get stuck against a wall. Like, they lie down but their legs are to close to the wall and they cant kick themselves up. I would also opt for a bigger size, like a 3.6 by 3.6 meter walls.

xJumperx 05-31-2012 10:56 PM

We have 12x12 stalls, and my 17hh TB rolls in it with no issue. He gets yelled at for it, because it scares me, but still.

Given the situation, make it easy on your dad, and go with those measurements :) They are close enough, and with your size horsed, shouldn't be an issue :) Best of luck!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0