The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Bit help (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/bit-help-125038/)

GutsNGrits 05-28-2012 11:39 PM

Bit help

Okay so I have a QH mare I've been running in rodeos 2-3x's a month and I need to upgrade a bit I think. She is a free and strong runner who rates and lifts on her own , all I have to do at a barrel is check her. I have been riding her in a 3 piece jr cow horse with a copper roller in the middle. I broke her in a snaffle. Now we have been hustling through the pattern and she is still light as ever while running I just have to check more at my first barrel. I had her in a sliding gag twisted short shank combo but she HATED it. We would run past the first barrel from her shaking her head and bucking , I think it was hurting her. She has her feet, teeth, saddle fitting and chiropractor checks regularly so pain is ruled out. So I have Absoleutely no whoa In my bit . So I need a light bit but with more whoa. I was looking at the 3 piece sweet 6. Opinions? I have a video if needed.

BarrelRacingLvr 05-29-2012 02:04 AM

I personally would like to see the video before I post.....

GutsNGrits 05-29-2012 10:00 AM

YouTube - Scratch Practice - 4.23.12

Here's a old one in the 3 piece jr cow horse. This gives you an idea of how she runs/lopes her pattern. In an arena she does better because she can dig . I promise it is dirt around my barrels. I would never run my horses in plain grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

GutsNGrits 05-29-2012 12:56 PM

What type of sweet 6 mouth piece would you get?

BarrelRacingLvr 05-29-2012 04:33 PM

I don't think you need a bit change....This is what I see.

Going into the first your not giving her a big enough pocket so then she goes out to turn. And her turn is not smooth....I would work on spirals and get her really working collected and not so scattered out like she is, she isn't following her nose.

But the pocket is the main issue causing problems, I don't see where she would need a different bit.

Another thing I see is that you tip her nose to the outside...big no no. That cause them to drop that inside shoulder. Bad habit to get into right there, you need to shape her going into the turn so lift and get that nose tipped in. That could also be why she isn't turning like she should because your causing her to drop that front end...YOUR also leaning in when doing that.

So overall I see more rider errors then the horse doing things wrong.

1RedHorse 05-29-2012 07:13 PM

Agree^^^

It's not a bit issue it's your hands. I watched your other videos on your other horse and it's the same thing.

I highly recommend working on your riding off the pattern and take some lessons from a trainer
Posted via Mobile Device

GutsNGrits 05-29-2012 08:18 PM

I have a trainer.
Posted via Mobile Device

1RedHorse 05-29-2012 08:31 PM

Do you see what we're referring to about your hands?
Posted via Mobile Device

GutsNGrits 05-29-2012 09:57 PM

Yes I do, I should soften them.
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 05-29-2012 10:57 PM

Those two are right on the money. I think it would do you and your horse some good to do other riding off the pattern, with your trainer, working on your riding.