The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Todays Lesson! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/todays-lesson-125048/)

KelliB 05-28-2012 11:40 PM

Todays Lesson!

Sooo... I have become slightly obsessed with one of my trainers horses. Shes an icelandic not sure on age or anything but I adore her. She's definitely a handful but I enjoy it haha.. Anyways so today my trainer let me ride her.. english. I have only ridden western and bareback once. (which was extremely scary not gonna lie haha...)She doesn't like to just walk she does this little gait which is definitely scary but it is so smooth there really is no bouncing happening. She does tend to want to speed up more and more so great practice on slowing her down haha. My posture was pretty on point from what he was saying. When talking about it later with my boyfriend I realized its probably because I lean forward towards the horn ridding western... It's my safe place and I can grab the horn haha... But english you really have no choice you have to have good posture to stay on the horse. I think I may actually like english ridding better. The positioning is more comfortable for me. He said she can be my project pony. I'm so stoked... He kept mentioning that she is an advanced pony but I did very well... I'm super excited :D:D:D:D:D

BTW- I have only been riding about a month. I am pretty sure I've ridden at least twice a week though.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section... I just wanted to talk about it for the 5000th time haha :-)

Skyseternalangel 05-29-2012 07:04 AM

Well how exciting and congratulations!

English really is a lot of fun ;)

Rancher 05-29-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliB (Post 1521726)
...But english you really have no choice you have to have good posture to stay on the horse.

The English saddle's more for the horse's comfort; the Western more for the rider's for the obvious reason that cowpunchers had to stay in the saddle all day long.

Sounds like you're having a great time and learning quickly.

(The first time I tried to ride bareback as a youngun I jumped up and went clean over and landed on the other side :wink:)