The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Barn idea (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/barn-idea-125052/)

BarrelWannabe 05-29-2012 01:17 AM

Barn idea

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all! I've been working on this for a few hours, fiddling with measurements and everything. I've come up with the floor plan of a barn and I'd like to hear what you think about it.

I'm going length x width on measurements.
It's going to be an all metal barn. Walls, roof, internal structuring, etc.
It'll most likely be all concrete with matted stall floors.

The barn will be 50'x40' with 12' walls and a 15' peak.
Doors will be sliding "dutch doors" that are 8'x6'.
The whole barn will probably be raised around 6" above groun level.
Overhang will be 12'(doesn't look like that in the picture.)
The stalls will have runs that extend 8' past the over hang and be sloped to allow run off.
Outside doors will be sliding "dutch doors" and will be 8'x4'

Interior:
Breezeway will be 50'x10'
4 stalls that will either be 12'x12' or 14'x14'
Tack/Feed room that will be 12'x12'
2 storage areas for hay, tractor, atv, etc that are 14'x15' and 26'x15'

Edit- I've left enough room so that I can make it an 8 stall barn but I'm not sure if I could add any kind of overhead storage without having too low of a ceiling.

KarrotKreek 05-29-2012 06:03 AM

Suggest making the center aisle wide enough to drive in a full size truck. Makes loading/unloading easier. Especially in bad weather. Also helps for hay deliveries.

BarrelWannabe 05-29-2012 11:36 AM

Alright. How about 50x50 with a 20' breezeway?
Runs and everything would stay the same, just make the barn 10' wider.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 05-29-2012 03:09 PM

Why not check the price of roof trusses? Be sure you are sitting down. Lol

Corporal 05-29-2012 03:25 PM

Good design. 12 x 12 are plenty big and you need all the space left for other things.
Wood buildings are super-pricey, but understand--don't know Where? you live??--metal buildings are super hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. This is bc they don't breathe. I've been horse-shopping in the winter and it wasn't warmer inside the barn than outside, but open door and windows can help, some.
You can help with heat in the winter by creating canvas tops for the stalls.

BarrelWannabe 05-29-2012 03:30 PM

I live in Oklahoma. I'm mostly interested in the metal as I think it would fair better against the weather(tornados) than wood. I've lost a barn to a tornado and I really don't want to do that again.

PaintHorseMares 05-29-2012 04:18 PM

Keep in mind whatever your snow load will be since you're talking about an almost flat roof (3/25 pitch).
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelWannabe 05-29-2012 04:25 PM

What height do you think I should go to?

This is just an idea. Not any official plans.

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 05-29-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 1522505)
metal buildings are super hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. This is bc they don't breathe.

Disagree with this. I have a steel barn that is insulated and has both soffits and a cupola. The copula is an unusual feature for a steel barn but the soffits are standard opporating proceedure for any building, at least here in Western Washington. My barn is warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I agree airflow is a priority but steel buildings shouldn't be discounted.

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 05-29-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelWannabe (Post 1522577)
What height do you think I should go to?

This is just an idea. Not any official plans.

Depends on if you want a hay loft. My walls are 12' high in the stalls, 22' maybe, total at the peak, tall enough for a 6'+ man to stand up in the loft in the center, and about 16' on the short walls, which is like ~3" off to either side in the loft.