The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Clicker training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/clicker-training-125053/)

Semiellia 05-29-2012 02:00 AM

Clicker training

Has anyone or does anyone clicker train? Thoughts?

Missy May 05-29-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semiellia (Post 1521813)
Has anyone or does anyone clicker train? Thoughts?

Hi Semiellia....welcome aboard!

I do a lot of clicker training. I only use it on the ground which is just my personal preference. When I ask for something new under saddle that I have trained for on the ground - the correct response is near instantaneous. I also use it to help people and their horses get over "problem areas".
I have noticed a lot of people seem to look down on it. I am guessing it is b/c they don't understand it. Yes, they get a reward for the correct response in the form of food, but far more importantly they learn a language as clear and as any spoken language that exists. So long as the human consistantly uses the same "language"...its can lead to an amazing conversation.

p.s., here is a video of me and my mare, it was strictly "just for fun" training - there is no under saddle application that I intent to use it for. I was just playing around and didn't know my husband was filming in the first part...so it isn't fancy..but it is an example of how much fun you can have "playing" with clicker training, i.e., playing w your horse.

aldebono 05-29-2012 10:58 AM

I trained mine OUT of being a treat monster with clicker training. I also use it only on the ground and I have noticed that when we do a little clicker training before a ride, she is more focused on me.

I like to think of it as an unmistakeable communication tool.

julianeAHS 06-02-2012 08:44 PM

I agree with everyone here that you can do amazing things w/ clicker. The video is fantastic as well! It does encourage great communication with your horse.
However, I have rehabilitated some rescue horses and find that often, horses with behavioral problems, whether it be fear or disrespect, will take advantage of their owners. Clicker training will help with this up to a point, but I've found that regular natural horsemanship is much more effective. If a horse gets really scared for his life or sets their mind on something, I've found that the idea of herd leadership is MUCH stronger than the motivation for treats. Herd leadership establishes trust and respect, which clicker doesn't ALWAYS do. Now, it all depends on the horse AND on the trainer, and I have nothing against clicker, but I do think that it's more effective when natural horsemanship and clicker go hand in hand and are used together.
Hope this helps! :)

Semiellia 06-03-2012 10:39 PM

Thanks Juliane, I should mention that I am also using natural horsemanship mostly natural and clicker for certain things. He is doing really well we have bonded quite nicely actually I am working with ground manners at the moment and the clicker comes into play when I am introducing something new till he gets it then I just use my commands it's working thus far.

loosie 06-04-2012 03:40 AM

Yup, another one for 'clicker training', not that I've used an actual clicker for a very long time tho.:D

Quote:

I like to think of it as an unmistakeable communication tool.
oh but it can definitely be used badly & mistakes made... such as people who inadvertently train their horses TO be 'treat monsters' & then blame the clicker training & food treats!:wink: It's about being aware of exactly what you're reinforcing... whatever the method.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julianeAHS (Post 1529050)
Clicker training will help with this up to a point, but I've found that regular natural horsemanship is much more effective.

I don't think of it as an 'either - or' thing. It is just a part of my 'natural horsemanship' IMO. I certainly don't think they're contradictory to eachother, although 'purists' who like to use only positive reinforcement & no negative would think so. I personally don't have a problem with a mixture.

julianeAHS 06-04-2012 09:15 AM

Yes, loosie, that's the perfect way to put it! My mom's pony does amazing things as a result of clicker but now is super nippy. I know clicker training have their horses "pose" to prevent nippiness and it's great but it doesn't work on all horses, this one is just too eager. Without natural hrosemanship to go with it I wouldn't be able to use him as a school horse.

And I'm glad you're using natural horsemanship as well :)

Rancher 06-04-2012 09:38 AM

The gal who trains my horses doesn't use that method but some people swear by it. I'm just chiming in here about the treat issue. Once in a while has always been okay with me. If the horse won't take the bit, rather than stand there wrestling with it in the heat for 20 minutes I'll put a little molasses on that boy and the game is over. Just sayin

TXClickerChick 06-04-2012 03:54 PM

I successfully use 100% CT with my 10 yr old mustang I got a year ago. If you are truly interested I would gladly point you in some helpful directions. :)

Missy May 06-04-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julianeAHS (Post 1529050)
Now, it all depends on the horse AND on the trainer, and I have nothing against clicker, but I do think that it's more effective when natural horsemanship and clicker go hand in hand and are used together.
Hope this helps! :)

I completely agree...it is highly dependent on the horse and trainer. I always get to know a horse as well as time will permit before I begin w training - never a moment sooner. And, sometimes I am pleasanlty surprised at what a given individual horse is capable of (that is, often I wouldn't have "guessed" horse "x" to have excelled at lesson "abc" near as quickly as horse "y"...but they do, and then some).

And, I agree....no matter what you classify a training method (e.g., natural), I don't think clicker can be used effectively w/o integrating it w another training method of some kind. And to be trully effective, one needs some degree of prior training experience, IMHO.

Then there is the "for fun" element. Before I did clicker "ground for fun activities" for my horse's enjoyment were hard to organize. I think "for fun" is extremely important for and to every family member. If that is all someone used it for - it is still a huge benefit.

It is training, and they retian it well. I have had my horses shipped long distances in the relatively recent past. I wrote out clear instructions for the handlers so that they would have no problem putting them wherever they needed to. I felt really good on two separate trips when the drivers were really complementary on pick up and delivery, and said, "wish they were all that easy". Obviousely, they didn't "ct" them - b/c they felt no more compelled to "train" them than they would have felt toward any other equally well trained horse.