The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WARNING VERY GRAPHIC ~ the inside training of the Tennessee walking horse

6K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  Jewelsb 
#1 ·
I'm sorry for posting such a awful graphic video but people need to be aware of this cruelty. i was so upset and angry watching this

#36 ·
sorry to double post, I did that first one on my phone. My first ever experiance watching a big lick class is this video: Around 1:40 was very disturbing to me...

I find it hard to believe that this even goes on and how the trainers get wins from this movement.. I wanna take a trip to the shows and show my "support" ... But I'd probably get shot.

#37 · (Edited)
Tinyliny, google Papa's Royal Delight - he's a registered TWH stallion here in Missouri who has mopped up in the 'natural' TWH classes. Here's a video of him cantering. This is achieved by breeding, training, and no soring practices or chains.

In fact, his owner is a gifted gaited horse trainer, horse lover, and tireless advocate of Friends of Sound Horses, which promotes sound shoeing and humane handling practices. I would love to have one of Papa's offspring, I think they move like magic. :)

It's a testament to the stoic, huge hearts of this breed that they 'try' to please these human beings who are truly torturers. Even the ones who don't 'make' - e.g., can't be trained as show horses because they don't tolerate the abuse -- are not winners even though they escape the torture.

#41 ·
Things like this make me ashamed to be part of the human race. I have very strong opinions on what we as a race have done to this planet, I won't even start. I will spare you all :lol:
No lie, I'm right there with you. I have some cynical thoughts about our race.

anyway that was horrible. Besides obvious feelings I have for those people... I have the big question of why the HELL do they even have horses?!?! Obviously they hate them! SO GET AWAY FROM THEM. That's what baffles me about this and other abusive trainers. If you actually enjoyed the presence of an equine you would not be doing that!

Also, is anyone aware of the purpose behind hitting the horse's face in the cross ties? It's unimportant... But I don't know what he was getting at.

#42 ·
The purpose of hitting them in the head is to train them to stand still without flinching or giving **any** sign of discomfort when the show officials check their legs and hooves for signs of chemical soring. If they flinch, at all, the trainers beat the tar out of them until they learn to stand still without flinching or giving any sign of pain. If the officials find evidence of soring by chemical or mechanical means or scars from previous soring, the horse is disqualified from the show. It goes on the owner's records. Some of us would assume that the owner would be kicked out of the breed association if they collected enough violations, but that seldom happens.

#44 ·
Rosie-Folks like this do it for one reason. Money. If the horses the "train" (for lack of a better term) win, then the horses are worth more, and so are the services of the trainers. It has nothing to do, in this case, with the love of anything but the almighty dollar. (and perhaps to make them feel "big" somehow)

I also find the whole action of these horses disturbing, SR. On one of the other threads about this, another poster tried to tell me that the platforms do not contribute to the early breakdown of these horses. I really find that one hard to believe. There is NO WAY, at least in my mind, that a horse moving like this is not detrimental over time. Just don't believe it.

This is, no question, abuse. I think we ALL agree on that (other than perhaps, Mr Mcconnell himself). However, I would really find it a stretch to compare this to the general activity that goes on in other disciplines. There will always be outliers, or the ones who would abuse anything, but generally, I don't think it is there. I have just come from an NRHA reining show. Yes, I did see ONE guy who I thought was questionable, and that was primarily because he was HUGE and the horse was teeny, even by reining standards, and the horse was SOAKED, and the horse really looked stressed. But, I have no idea what the story was, so I did not interfere. For all I know the horse was being an a$$, just as mine was some of the time. Other than that-I saw nothing that I would think twice about. In fact, many of the horses were being treated with machines to circulate ice water on their hocks, others had magnetic therapy......all really well taken care of, IMO, and seemed content doing their jobs.

#46 ·
Rosie, the breed associations are not going to enforce anything these days - some of them *are* the problem. Big shots on the TWHBEA are on the violators list for soring violations.

A couple of years ago (2010?) it was in the news that the DQP (soring inspectors) were at one of the shows. They were actually writing citations and disqualifying people for soring, to the extent that they had to cancel the entire show. People who were disqualified had to leave, people who were arriving refused to undergo inspection (gotta wonder why, right?) and they had to shut down the show. You'd think the breed association would get the message that something needed to change, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've own a TWH mare for 3 years and still haven't registered her in my name. To do so, I would have to send a check to the TWHBEA. I do not want them to have a single cent of my money....so haven't registered her in my name yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.