The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   summer fly control at your place (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/summer-fly-control-your-place-125083/)

kait18 05-29-2012 10:06 AM

summer fly control at your place

what do you guys use at your barn to rid your horses of the flies??

i use pyranha fly spray on each horse, plus fly masks, muck out fields and run in shed.

what else is out there to lower the fly count before the season really picks up?? is there something i can throw on the manure pile, or something i can put in there feed that is effective(have not had alot of success with these products, keep the grass high vs low, etc etc. i need a new system to help keep the flies away as it seems there is already alot more flies out then there were all of last year.. :(

chuckdee 05-29-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1522108)

i use pyranha fly spray on each horse, plus fly masks, muck out fields and run in shed.

what else is out there to lower the fly count before the season really picks up?? is there something i can throw on the manure pile, or something i can put in there feed that is effective(have not had alot of success with these products, keep the grass high vs low, etc etc. i need a new system to help keep the flies away as it seems there is already alot more flies out then there were all of last year.. :(

Home Depot sells a fly trap that works well.

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 05-29-2012 05:40 PM

Fly Predators: https://www.spalding-labs.com/

Absolutly 100% swear by them! Earlier this spring my my mare and newborn foal at the time we COVERED in flies and despite dressing them up in fly blankets and masks (BTW a 1500 lbs horse in a white fly blanket, with neck and a fly mask ... looks like a Klan member. Just saying). Fly spray helped but only for a few hours and as I work durring the day I don't have time to drive home to respray everyone after lunch.

I bought a pack of Fly predators and put them on my manure pile, in my chicken coop and in the damp corner of their turn out and a couple weeks later they're all gone!

I absolutly swear by them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1522108)

kait18 05-30-2012 05:09 PM

thanks i will try those !! my babies are already suffering with all the **** flies :(

Rancher 05-30-2012 05:20 PM

PBI Gordon or Chemtech 10% Permethrin.

themacpack 05-30-2012 05:21 PM

The problem is the different flies require different control. The worst of them, the nasty biting horse and deer flies for example, are the hardest to impact. Most of the comercial traps, etc address the common/house type only.
We use traps for the nuisance flies (am looking into building a trap for the big biting buggars) masks and spray (not having much luck this year finding a very effective one for the nasties) along with good housekeeping on the property as far as manure etc.

stevenson 05-30-2012 05:30 PM

California banned all the good stuff years ago. I add skin so soft with my fly spray to help it stay on longer. I have tried the vinegar , in feed, in water, on the horse.. did not help. i have added from health food stores, cintronella and eucalyptus. I am gonna try to add it with the sss and fly spray this time.
Fly maks and sheets only work , if the horse keeps them on ! and thier neighbor does not help to try to remove them.

kait18 05-31-2012 03:36 PM

thanks guys we are having the biting critters and the house flies... they are mainly attacking the private areas and the eyes and other then a mask is the only solution i find somewhat working... the manure pile is at far end of 7 acres being composited but the effects are starting to hinder me wanting to be outside and being attacked along with my horses... its awful :(

themacpack- what type of thing are you building to get the biting critters??

churumbeque 05-31-2012 05:14 PM

I have used fly predators and they greatly reduced the fly population but I still felt I had too many. This year I an using mineral blocks with Raybon and have less flies than I did with predators.

themacpack 05-31-2012 05:16 PM

I believe its called a Manitoba trap.......will look for sure when I get home.