The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Contests (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-contests/)
-   -   Horse Judging (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-contests/horse-judging-125131/)

Thoroughbred Lover 05-29-2012 06:21 PM

Horse Judging

Hey Guys! I'm entering in my local county fair in a horse judging class, and I thought that I could use some practice. So basically there are 4 horses, and I pick places 1-4 based on their conformation. So I'll start with a category:

Quarter Horse geldings

So, does anyone have a breed/gender stated above? If you do, I could use the practice in preparing for the competition! Just post below (I only need 4 horses, then I'll judge,place, and move onto the next breed/gender).

-Remember, this is just for practice, not some "official thing":D

-Post a picture of your horse from a side view.

If anyone has suggestions for the next category, corrections to my placings, or helpful hints for my competition, feel free to post that,too!Thanks!!!:-)

Horses4Healing 05-30-2012 10:41 AM

this sounds neat. Of course I've never owned a Quarter Horse Gelding so I'm not much help.

themacpack 05-30-2012 10:52 AM

Good luck! DD was on her FFA chapter's horse judging team and I participated many moons ago as a 4-Her myself. I can't remember at the moment which one, but I know one of the magazines she gets has a judging/placing thing every month with three or four horses that are evaluated and placed by that month's expert and there reasons are explained in detail.....will have to check which one it is whrn I get home or maybe someone here knows what it is......might help you study up.

Horses4Healing 05-30-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1523805)
Good luck! DD was on her FFA chapter's horse judging team and I participated many moons ago as a 4-Her myself. I can't remember at the moment which one, but I know one of the magazines she gets has a judging/placing thing every month with three or four horses that are evaluated and placed by that month's expert and there reasons are explained in detail.....will have to check which one it is whrn I get home or maybe someone here knows what it is......might help you study up.

Practical Horseman has a confirmation clinic in it every month, three horses are judged based on suitability for a certain discipline. Other than Practical Horseman, I'm not sure what other magazine does it.

Ink 05-30-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horses4Healing (Post 1524036)
Practical Horseman has a confirmation clinic in it every month, three horses are judged based on suitability for a certain discipline. Other than Practical Horseman, I'm not sure what other magazine does it.

Horse & Rider usually has a comformation clinic every month too. Although, sometimes I don't agree with their placings, it's still good practice and they have detailed descriptions of why they placed the horses they way they did.

themacpack 05-30-2012 02:22 PM

Horse and Rider, that's the one I was thinking of

Thoroughbred Lover 05-30-2012 09:54 PM

Yeah, I've seen that one in Horse & Rider too. Thanks, guys!:D

BarrelBunny 05-30-2012 10:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Since nobody's posted any pics yet... here are a few! I know that one of them is a mare, but honestly I think that there is not a significant difference in the way that mares and geldings are conformed. JMO. :-)
1) Goose-- QH x Draft of some sort.
Attachment 100247

2) Doodles-- QH mare. (The most amazing horse in the whole world!!! :wink: lol) Sorry, the angle of that pic is kind of weird...
Attachment 100248

3) Buzz-- QH gelding with TONS of Thoroughbred breeding. :wink: This was from the first day that I got him. :-) he looks MUCH better now. :lol:
Attachment 100249

I thought I had more conformation pictures than that!! :shock: I'll have to get more!!

Thoroughbred Lover 05-31-2012 12:37 PM

All Right! I just need 1 or 2 more......... BarrelBunny, I love your horses' names!:D

BarrelBunny 05-31-2012 01:30 PM

Thanks! :D I can get you a couple more.. I'll post them later :wink:
Posted via Mobile Device