The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Western Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/western-dressage-125139/)

AfleetAlex 05-29-2012 07:02 PM

Western Dressage

North American Western Dressage

What does everyone think of it? The dressage trainer at my barn helped to start Western Dressage and even is going to create a special saddle for it. I think it's pretty cool! :-)

Endiku 05-29-2012 07:09 PM

Otherwise known as reining? :lol:

Love your username, by the way. I'm a huge fan of Afleet Alex!

AfleetAlex 05-29-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1522862)
Otherwise known as reining? :lol:

Love your username, by the way. I'm a huge fan of Afleet Alex!

Thanks! I got to see him last year in person, I even touched his shoulder! It was awesome.

Actually no, it's not like reining.

MudPaint 05-29-2012 07:40 PM

I noticed this starting to pop up in our area. I think it's great. It really bridges the gap between the english and western disciplines who both think each other is crazy.

crystalnelson 05-29-2012 08:49 PM

Western Dressage Association of America

http://wdaa.org

To get all the information you need about western dressage, visit the nationally recognized website, WDAA.org. They are the non-profit organization who started with members like Jack Brainerd and Eitan Beth-Halachmy, and have a board of advisors who are experienced with many years of riding and training.

WDAA is registered 501(c) non profit, educational organization, with official affiliates in many states, with more being added all the time. They have access to all the upcoming rules and tests, if you are interested in showing, or simply information if you want to improve your riding using basic dressage principles. It is open to any rider of any age or experience, and any breed of horse.

Please check their website and enjoy the journey.

MyBoyPuck 05-29-2012 09:06 PM

Bizarre this topic came up today. Just last night I watched a Julie Goodnight episode where she was helping a woman with western dressage training. I've also never heard of it. Nice to see some attempt at bridging the divide between the two disciplines I suppose.

crystalnelson 05-29-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1523014)
Bizarre this topic came up today. Just last night I watched a Julie Goodnight episode where she was helping a woman with western dressage training. I've also never heard of it. Nice to see some attempt at bridging the divide between the two disciplines I suppose.

yes, julie goodnight is on the advisory board of the WDAA.

QHriderKE 05-30-2012 12:03 AM

Here's a thread on it..
http://www.horseforum.com/western-ri...essage-113011/

Beling 05-31-2012 04:34 PM

That's an interesting thread! I'm starting to think Western Dressage is a contradiction in terms; the goals are so different, Anything past Pre-Training, or maybe Training Level, looks like dressage in a Western saddle. (Or that weird hybrid saddle.)

Corporal 05-31-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1523014)

I saw the same show. She was advertising "getting in the ground floor" of this, too, if you noticed.
IMHO, ANY form of showing that increases the time spent and improves the discipline of both horse and rider is a good thing.
I think it could be very useful for folks who do not own the traditional TB, or Warmblood and, therefore, think that their horse is unable to perform Dressage bc he/she is the wrong breed.
Considering how out-of-control many horses are today, I applaud another excuse to train. I am interested. =D