The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Speech problem/Cashier (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/speech-problem-cashier-125157/)

Spotted Image 05-29-2012 09:18 PM

Speech problem/Cashier

I just got a job as a cashier and start tomorrow, but I also have a slight speech problem. This doesnít affect me in everyday life or anything. There are a couple words I just canít speak right. Iím not really worried about it as I know way around the words, but some of these words would be used in my work. And Iím wondering how, customers are going to act.
When I say 13 or 14 some people canít tell the difference and then when I say 30 and 40 some people canít tell the difference. I knew I would run into this but have lived with this problem for 19 years now.
If I say the number and it is misread by the person Iím speaking to, I normally would then say ďone three and 57 centsĒ, but I understand most people arenít going to know exactly what I mean. I have been known to use other ways to, sometimes I can say it super slow and get it almost correct.
Speech therapists have agreed I could work with public in a settling like this, but may run into some people who have a problem with it. I was told I could get a tiny better, but after 6 years of work on speech, there will be little more improvement. Iím going to try to keep working on it at home.
The main question is would you get mad if the cashier was having problems telling you the amount, but trying there best. I understand that everyone is difference, and Iím used to people getting upset over my speech, it was worse.

katbalu 05-29-2012 09:32 PM

I work with a few people that have speech problems in an extremely customer service oriented workplace, and it's no problem at all. If someone is rude, they aren't the norm- they are a douche (can I say douche?). I personally cannot even imagine getting mad over such a thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 05-29-2012 09:35 PM

Of course not! you can , if you like, perhaps were a cute little sign like, "I know, I talk kind of funny. Isn't it wonderful?" I dunno, maybe that's a wierd idea.

But, just laugh it off, once people know you are doing your best, most will be happy to laugh with you. My older son could not say "sh" sound for the longest time. He had many misunderstandings, but for him it was frustrating, so I can imagine you would have feelings about it.

Good luck with your new job!

CLaPorte432 05-29-2012 09:49 PM

889 Attachment(s)
I don't know of anyone that would get mad at you for that. Gosh.

I worked in a pet store for years and 95% of the customers were super friendly.

There should be a screen that will show the total so if someone goes "How much?" after you tell them and "slightly" screw up 13 or 14, you can point to the screen and go "Sorry, I have a slight speech problem. Your total is right here." And be polite about it, Smile and keep a friendly and light attitude. No biggie. ;-)

I certainly wouldn't be offended if I dealt with a cashier that was like you. No way.

dbarabians 05-29-2012 09:52 PM

So you have a speech defect. Everyone of us has something along the same lines they are not always apparent.
I have severe hearing loss. I have 2 hearing aids.
I should be your customer because 13 and 14 sound alike to me,
I do not wear those hearing aids in loud places or in public. They pick up every noise and sometimes it gets comical.
You ever tried to read a persons lips that don't move?
My point is as long as you are polite and friendly that will be all the defense you need against ignorant remarks.
Sure you will get some but it says more about the other person than about you.
Smile relax and good luck. Shalom

jinxremoving 05-29-2012 09:55 PM

There's always going to be jerks who will give you an odd look or maybe even say something in a rude manner, but the overwhelming majority of people probably won't even notice and if they do they'll just think it's some cute quirk. I wouldn't worry about it. I also have a weird speech problem with words that sound like they have "air" in them.

I say beer and it sounds like bear.
I say cheer and it sounds like chair.
I say air and it sounds like ear.
I say here and it sounds like hair.

You get the idea. Just like you, I've also learned to work around those words or avoid saying them if need be... and if someone ever is rude about it just smile at them and wish them a great day. Maybe they'll feel like an idiot later on. :)

Skyseternalangel 05-29-2012 09:57 PM

Isn't there that screen where the buyer can see the total amount? I'm sure that, paired with you saying the price.. will get the msg across.

I don't think it would be a problem at all :)

tinyliny 05-29-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxremoving (Post 1523103)
There's always going to be jerks who will give you an odd look or maybe even say something in a rude manner, but the overwhelming majority of people probably won't even notice and if they do they'll just think it's some cute quirk. I wouldn't worry about it. I also have a weird speech problem with words that sound like they have "air" in them.

I say beer and it sounds like bear.
I say cheer and it sounds like chair.
I say air and it sounds like ear.
I say here and it sounds like hair.

You get the idea. Just like you, I've also learned to work around those words or avoid saying them if need be... and if someone ever is rude about it just smile at them and wish them a great day. Maybe they'll feel like an idiot later on. :)

Hey, you're a poet and you didn't know it!

VT Trail Trotters 05-29-2012 10:42 PM

^ They know what there doing :) I cant help but with braces... or its not them i cant talk for crap :P And i got rubber bands in and cant say "application" and i had to pick up a few... and yeah guess how that goes.

Faceman 05-30-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 1523098)
So you have a speech defect. Everyone of us has something along the same lines they are not always apparent.
I have severe hearing loss. I have 2 hearing aids.
I should be your customer because 13 and 14 sound alike to me,
I do not wear those hearing aids in loud places or in public. They pick up every noise and sometimes it gets comical.

Now that brings to mind an idea for a Saturday Night Live comedy sketch of Spotted Image trying to check you out with 14 impatient customers in line behind you...:rofl:

A checker with a speech impediment would never bother me.

db, glad to finally know why you don't listen to reason...:rofl: