The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Abrasion causing horse to limp badly (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/abrasion-causing-horse-limp-badly-125190/)

Mcb454 05-30-2012 04:26 AM

Abrasion causing horse to limp badly

My boy got caught in a rope yesterday when I t/o this morning he was limping badly the vet said they couldn't make it until Friday I'm really concerned has anyone else had this happen.

I should add its a minor abrasion on hind leg I have been keeping it clean and treated and wrapped loosely

Skyseternalangel 05-30-2012 04:35 AM

How did it happen?

He may have pulled something.. do you know where the pain is coming from? (hip, stifle, hock, back, hoof, knee, shoulder, etc.)

natisha 05-30-2012 07:38 AM

If it's only a minor abrasion the wrap could be bothering it, plus, yes, there could be something else going on too.

Mcb454 05-30-2012 08:31 AM

im sorry i should have been more specific its his back left hock its really tender im thinking he may have bruised it he was on a lead rope when it happened and somehow managed to get it rapped around his back leg just stepped right over it i got it off him fast as i could he was not a happy boy he seemed fine that day after it happened i treated it as a precautionary measure then stalled him up for the night but like i said at t/o the next morning it was swollen and he was limping it seems anytime i touch it he lifts it so i know hes in pain :-( and he will stand with his toe pointed on that foot i checked his hoof really well to make sure nothing was caught in the rocks and such and nothing i have the bandage on there for the flies and other pesky little buggers that might be attracted to it with or without the bandage which is looose so it doesnt cause more irritation than necessary when i was laying with him last night i gently massaged the area just to try and see if something deeper may be going on broken or what not but he wasnt violent enough to break it just kinda kicked wouldnt exactly be the word it was more like a slow kicking motion like get this darn thing off me but as i stated it is swollen and tender but hes still eating/grazing and drinking normally and still loving not scared and will still lay with me in the evening and it doesnt appear he has and trouble getting upright when he lays down in fact he will shift his weight from his right leg to his left and can stand on it when his right now load bearing leg gets tired it just seems hes having trouble getting around on it and seems to fatigue when he moves a lot so i have sectioned him off a small grazing area to try and limit his movement but enough he can much all the grass he wants

im sorry this was so long

Skyseternalangel 05-30-2012 08:35 AM

OP I suggest you use punctuation. Most of that came off as "lalalalalalala" to me, I had to read it a few times.

I suggest you watch for swelling, don't do anything too strenuous with him until the vet sees him.

Tmonts65 05-30-2012 03:06 PM

Try using 100% Organic extra virgin coconut oil as a topica for cuts, abraisions, and skin irritations. In it raw form, it has not been heated and therefore retains the anti-oxidant, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties. It forms a chemical bond over the wounded area and helps the skin heal quicker. It is also a great external hoof, coat, mane and tail conditioner that absorbs into the hairs and hooves insteat of just coating them moisturizing them. It doesn't need to be rinsed off. It has extremely beneficial properties when mixed with feed at 1 to 2oz per feeding. Google coconut oil healing properties online. You will see alot for humans and some for horses, but it all applies. We get excellent results using it bothe internally and externally. I agree the vet should still see him to verify the soundness of the leg, but it sounds more like a bruised muscle. I Hope this helps!

RunSlideStop 05-30-2012 03:13 PM

And the leftover coconut oil is tasty to cook with ;)

Jingles to you, will await good news.

smrobs 05-30-2012 03:56 PM

I've had a lot of horses get rope burned over the years. Unless the abrasion has obviously cut through the skin, muscle, and tendons, then I really don't think you have anything to worry about. He's sore, so he doesn't want to walk on it. Have you ever rope burned your hand? Same deal, you don't want to use it and when you do, you do it very gingerly because every time you make a big movement, it pulls on the burn and hurts.

Personally, unless it's going against the vet's orders, I wouldn't keep it wrapped. If it is open and bleeding, then keep it slathered with triple antibiotic ointment or, my favorite, Granulex and leave it alone. If it isn't open/bleeding but there is swelling, then I would cold hose it once or twice a day.

Of course, if you're unsure about the cause of the lameness, then the vet is the very best way to go, but IME, it's rare to see a horse that is seriously hurt by a rope burn inflicted upon themselves.

Rascaholic 05-30-2012 04:10 PM

I'd put some flu repellent (SWAT) on it and leave it open if the vet is coming. You could try some OTC burn cream, but sometimes it'll do as much harm as good since you want it to heal from the inside out. Call the vet and ask what they recommend for it till they can get out to check him, if he is still tender by then.

Mcb454 05-30-2012 05:26 PM

He seems to be doing better today as far as the pain. i should have mentioned i have him wrapped in polo wrap loosely, as i mentioned they flys and gnats are horrible. i tried a fly spray but it didnt do any good they still swarmed the wound the vet basically said as long as its not a tight wrap it would be ok as a preventative for the bugs. he also said it was probably just sore and if i still needed him to look friday he would come check him, but more than likely he wouldnt need to i would rather know for sure than to guess on my own guess its a comfort thing since he is my big baby.

thanks for everyone who has responded !