The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   help needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/help-needed-125197/)

west1979 05-30-2012 08:47 AM

help needed

i have got i horse and he was fine when i tryed him out before i got him but since i have had him home and started rideing him he is being norty with me, i have got help with an instructer and she saying its me that i am holding him to tight as i am weary from last time. the instructer has been on him and he is fine with her so the problem is me. i dont know what to do whats for the best keep tring with help to get my faith and confidence with him or just think its not the correct horse for me. i bought him as an novice and he is not as the instucter said.
what do i do for the best.

mls 05-30-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west1979 (Post 1523645)
i have got i horse and he was fine when i tryed him out before i got him but since i have had him home and started rideing him he is being norty with me, i have got help with an instructer and she saying its me that i am holding him to tight as i am weary from last time. the instructer has been on him and he is fine with her so the problem is me. i dont know what to do whats for the best keep tring with help to get my faith and confidence with him or just think its not the correct horse for me. i bought him as an novice and he is not as the instucter said.
what do i do for the best.

If you are paying an instructor - follow the advice. Many people DO hold too tightly on the horses face causing the horse to become upset.

Think of it as applying the brake and accelerator at the same time. It just doesn't work.

Spirit Lifter 05-30-2012 01:42 PM

Most horses work off the release of the bit after they have done what the rider wanted. By continuing to apply pressure you are confusing and possibly annoying your horse. I use verbal, leg and THEN bit pressure. This for trail riding.

Lokahi 05-30-2012 05:43 PM

Hi,

I havent seen you riding but im always against a tight rein hold.. the reins are for direction, your SEAT is the brake.. what i would do if were your instructor.. is a play a game.. put a rope around your horses neck, or if you have a western saddle, hold on to the horn.. and take the briddle off.. another solution would be for your instructor to hold you on a long line..

and start using your seat to accelerate and slow down, gaining confidence in yourself and in your horse..

The other thing would be to do visualisation.. see yourself riding, feel yourself riding, then imagine doing all that without using the reins, or in the slightest way.. but this is massively useful and most, if not all, great athletes do it.. the mind doesnt know the difference between a "live" event and imagination..
So see yourself having the best ride..

Happy Training

kait18 05-30-2012 05:45 PM

honestly i would listen to the instructor if she says loosen the reins loosen them. that way you can give the horse a chance to actually be the horse you keep and grow with and enjoy..if you are going to hold onto the past then you will never get any confidence on this horse and inevitably ruin both your confidence and your horse's willingness to perform for you...