The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pics of me working buffalo last night

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Golden Horse 
#1 ·
I finally had someone around with a camera last night so I got some pics of me working buffalo.

Bay gelding is a son of WR This Cats Smart out of a Smart little lena daughter.

Sorrel is a Freckles Playboy grandson.

Hope you enjoy :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I've approached a local buffalo breeder about just tracking them with youngsters I'm riding but he said they are meaner than snakes and he'd feel too liable. Is that typical? They aren't common around here so I have no clue ;)

#6 ·
They can be pretty mean. A friend of mine just had to go move some buffalo for a farmer because a buffalo killed his son.

These buffalo have been at our place for 3 years now. They arent tame by any means but they wouldnt come at you or anything.

We have 10 head and they are pretty different which is nice. Some of the bigger girls are slow and easy then theres a couple small ones that are pretty crazy. They have a way bigger flight zone than cattle so you have to really use space to control the speed your going. You will never outrun a buffalo and they will run till they die so you have to be smart when your working them so your horses dont get beat.

#14 ·
Bison are mean . They can hop over a 6 ft fence in the blink of an eye.
I slaughtered mine. I dont like the meat. Prefer beef cattle.
They use young cows to learn cutting, as they dont get as lazy as cattle. I would Never get into a pen with one of them. I hate them after owning two.
mean mean mean critters. my opinion. They are not domesticated . and they are dangerous. Range cattle are lots nicer.

#20 ·
Bison are mean . They can hop over a 6 ft fence in the blink of an eye.
I slaughtered mine. I dont like the meat. Prefer beef cattle.
They use young cows to learn cutting, as they dont get as lazy as cattle. I would Never get into a pen with one of them. I hate them after owning two.
mean mean mean critters. my opinion. They are not domesticated . and they are dangerous. Range cattle are lots nicer.
We've had purebred beef cattle that were just plain dangerous.

ANY critter has the potential to go back to basic survival mode. Doesn't mean the whole breed or species should be painted with the same brush.

Great photos Nicole!

#15 ·
Ours are deffiantly not domesticated at all but they arent that mean. They are more scared of me then I am of them. Doesnt mean I dont watch my back when I walk in the pen but I highly doubt one of ours would come at someone.

We have had these guys for 3 years now. No way cattle would stay fresh after 3 years...lol

#16 ·
Cool pics!!!

I have worked buffalo before and they are fun! Its always exciting when your riding a colt that has never seen one before..LOL

The trainer I am riding with now has about 10 head, some of them he's had for 10 years. He still gets yearlings in to work before a big show though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.