The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
- - I am so very torn right now.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-am-so-very-torn-right-125209/)
I am so very torn right now....
A lot HAS been going on lately. First off, many of you know I've been a little frustrated with Cinny. Sometimes I think he just won't "get" Dressage at all, and I'm really really falling in love with Dressage, even if I sometimes seem to rebel against judges, scoring, shows, etc. I really do like it.
Recently work has been a little slow for Robo. We came to the realization that the stable Cin is at (which I love, again despite some of my rants) is costing us way too much. Not in board, the board is a GREAT price but... It's half an hour away. So, It takes about 2 gallons of gas to get there (about 10 bucks a day), plus I have to pay the babysitter for 1 hour in which I'm only traveling to the stable (another 8 bucks). If I only went 4 times a week (how can I go less, I just CAN'T lol) it comes to $540..... so we switched babysitters to one that just wants a playmate for her kids and charges a flat 40 per week.... so I essentially am no longer really paying for that travel time. So just in GAS it is still at least 300 if I only go 4 days a week. Gah.... So we are moving him to a different stable... The owner is a dressage trainer that I have seen at shows, and she's really nice. Cin will have a better "living quarters" and I will save the 300.... plus she includes Strategy in the board price so that saves me a good 50 bucks on top of the 300. That's a 350 Savings.....
So then I found this OTTB rescue and I literally FELL IN LOVE with him the moment I saw him. Having a second horse would really thwart our intent to save money. So, I set out to lease or sell Cin and got no bites until Monday night, then I was flooded. Found some great peeps... a 22 yo college student who wants to pasture board him with her fillies and she would just play with him and ride him on trails. A 16 year old that wants to do 4H gaming (light barrels, poles, etc) which I think he would LOVE to do, are my two favorites. Haven't heard much from the 16 yo but the other girl is coming tonight.
Then I made a big mistake. I took Cin out last night...the first time since the 18th because I've been busy and I thought he needed a break..he's been in turnout with 5 other horses having a blast! Anyway, he was WONDERFUL, even without lunging. And he kept looking at me like he is SOOOOO in love with me. It broke my heart. I contacted the guy about the OTTB and it fell through. Apparently he had not informed his gf that the horse existed and even though she has many others, she WANTS this one.... so he gave it to her out of fear of becoming single...his exact words. So I thought, well I will STILL lease Cinny out. He may be happier and we can catch up on finances as with the show I pushed the budget a little too far when the railroad has been slowing down on Robo. I'll just take lessons once a week for a while with the lesson horses and save us another 300 per month. That should catch us up by the end of summer.
But this morning I woke up, and now I can't BEAR the thought of leasing Cinny out let alone selling him, and the girl looking at him tonight wants the option to buy if she likes him. I don't know if I'm just emotional today or what, but I've been in tears all morning. I feel like Cinny is THE HORSE for me, no matter what our issues may be. So now I just want to move him and keep on with the very first plan... but we really really really could use the financial break right now. And I don't want to lease him to somebody and then when they fall in love with him, which I know they will... take him back.
I really don't know what to do.... I just don't, and I feel so heartbroken and torn up inside right now.
<-------------- Look at my avatar... look at that sweet face... This was taken last night. How can I part with that??????
Yea, you do sound a little emotional. But you have to think about this properly, even though its not as easy as that.
If you really want to get into dressage, but you know deep down that Cinny is not the right horse for the job, why not lease him out?
You can still ride him, he gets experience with another rider, you save money, and potentially this frees you up to find your dressage horse in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
And I have decided Dressage isn't as important, at least showing is not. So I can still work with a trainer, and I can "play" at it, and relax with it... I can still ride Dressage with him and work on my skills.... I don't HAVE to SHOW him. Yes it's fun to go to shows but, I may be able to show a lesson horse too if I wanted to show. Or maybe my new trainer will have a student that is a much better rider who may have more success with him, I've seen it happen.
Yesterday, riding around bareback...working on some stuff in a relaxed and non-serious way, I realized why I love him so, and how much I love him!
Oh ok, my mistake, we call it baiting and half baiting, and it probably means something different anyway.
I didn't realise you wouldn't be able to keep him at the barn that you are moving him to.
I know exactly how you feel though, if I really wanted to be a serious competitor, I would sell both my mares,and buy a more serious prospect. And sometimes I regret not doing that. But I do just love them too darn much! Competing just isn't that important to me anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a mare I still kick myself for selling....21 years later. Think about it long and hard. If I had it to do over again, I'd never have sold her.
rework the lease? have her lease him from your barn, and say that 1 or maybe 2 days a week is your personal ride day with him. don't have the option for buying, most leases don't have the option for buying the horse in the end. or let her do a 2 week trial with him and see how your emotions are after that?
Im sorry to hear your going through a hard time, I have been there too!
what I iwll tell you and I didnt belive it myself all the way until Oliver came into my life.....Whatever happens will happen for reason, take your time and really think about what you want and what is best for Cinny. Things will all un roll in the way its meant to be if you go along beiliving that....sometime horses walk into our lives without us knowing they where sopposed to until it happens...ussally at that point your like whta!? this is crazy!? but go with it if you feel its meant to be.
I was selling my little TB mare fro many reasons but #1 reason being I was going to start community college and felt a horse would be too much of a way out of school, I never really like school until after I graduated HS.
Anyways I had a gal to lease my mare out for the summer nad buy her come fall when school started, it was goingto be great and I felt very good about what ihave decided and the home I had found for her. Late July I came across an add of a little sport horse and asked for pictures, was looking for a friend who needed a norse for Pony Club so I was helping with the search. I got pictures of the little guy teh named Mark and somthing in his picture told me to go meet him, after a few emails back and fourth i hada time to meet him. I fell in love iwth this horse...not as much as I have with other horses right away but he stuck his head in my chestadn from what I had heard he didnthave athe best of pasts recently so that really ment somthing to me.....I got int he car and was going to call my frien up and tell them to come meet the horse with their trainer soon and my mom sat next to me (she had been talking the hwole time with the owner of "Mark" and said she is goingto give you the horse if you put the training on him...My jaw i think litterlally dropped and knew right then and theree this was going to be such an amazing adventure...I wanst glooking for me, I had almost alre4ady sold my mare.....turns out later that week the gal paid for her in full cash and we boarded at the same barn for awhile beofre going our sepreate ways and still keep in touch. Not only was this horsea huge step up for me...he has solid good confirmation that wont cause me trouble my little tb mare and had more of a calm easy going attitude then my TB mare, same ages both when I sold her and given him.
Its now almost a year later, got him deliverd to me on the 2nd of August and its been truly amazing.
So know that when your paitiant and wait somthing amazing will come your way when your not even expecting it to and that will make the experiance and bond 10x greater by its self.
I know somthing will work out for you in the long run. Cinny isa great horse! Youra great horse mom and weather you lease to sell, just lease him out or dont do that at all somthing for both of you will work out!
Why not propose to the girl that Cin stays where he is and she pays half his board? That would help cover her driving expenses. Offer unlimited riding except when time allows you to ride. He stays fit, you own him and can keep an eye on him and save money to boot. Both split farrier expenses and vet bills? You'll need to figure that one out. Shots should be split but what if something more serious comes about?
The simplest answer:
Keep him at your barn, do a half lease type thing maybe? Arrange days when you can ride and spend time with him, and days that she can. Split costs and arrange how to do so between you.
You don't want him t move, so why should he?
I agree with the above posts... And to add: if this girl doesn't want to accept this lease, then just look for someone else.
Posted via Mobile Device
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.