The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Stupid question ! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/stupid-question-125214/)

GutsNGrits 05-30-2012 01:18 PM

Stupid question !

Okay so I know I sound really stupid asking this but it is bugging me to know. I went to the pleasure show to ride last weekend and saw about 7-10 trainers there on clients horses. Well they had a simple snaffle on some split reins and those type of reins that go on the bit, through the stirrups, and on the girth. What are they called and what are they used to teach? I use a lot of training equipment and have trained a variety of horses Jst never used these.:lol:

nvr2many 05-30-2012 01:21 PM

Was it driving reins?

GutsNGrits 05-30-2012 01:49 PM

I'm not sure. They just hooked on the reins, through the stirrups, & to the girth.

DrumRunner 05-30-2012 01:56 PM

The split reins that run through the stirrups and back up are there for warm up only, it reminds the horse to keep it's head low while the rider rounds the horse up under the saddle. There are many different names to it but basically just split reins..

smrobs 05-30-2012 02:02 PM

Just from your description, I suspect you are talking about draw reins.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sli-Q0uvxF...drawreins2.jpg

IMHO, they are nothing but a gadget that is used as a shortcut to put a headset on a horse. They are great for pulling the horse's head/neck down into the position the trainer wants, but they aren't so good for teaching the horse how to actually use the rest of their body. So, what you end up with is a horse that is consistently behind the bit, always has their head down, and the rest of their body is completely uncollected and discombobulated.

Fingerlakes 05-30-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GutsNGrits (Post 1523900)
Okay so I know I sound really stupid asking this but it is bugging me to know. I went to the pleasure show to ride last weekend and saw about 7-10 trainers there on clients horses. Well they had a simple snaffle on some split reins and those type of reins that go on the bit, through the stirrups, and on the girth. What are they called and what are they used to teach? I use a lot of training equipment and have trained a variety of horses Jst never used these.:lol:

It's not a dumb question! It's a quest for knowledge and there isn't anything stupid about that!

DrumRunner 05-30-2012 02:03 PM

lol Does that girl have a girth as a breast collar???

smrobs 05-30-2012 02:05 PM

LOL, DR. I didn't even notice that part but it darn sure looks like it :?.

DrumRunner 05-30-2012 02:07 PM

Lol It's actually not that bad of an idea when you think about it.

GutsNGrits 05-30-2012 02:50 PM

Lol I think that is a girth! & thanks guys! I think it was draw reins. I was wondering what they were for and what they were called because I never tried them!