The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding Critique (Barrel/Roping prospect) -- Lots of Pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeding-critique-barrel-roping-prospect-lots-125227/)

BlondeHorse 05-30-2012 02:12 PM

Breeding Critique (Barrel/Roping prospect) -- Lots of Pics

Not sure if this is where i should put this, or in the "Critique" section since it is mostly a critique on a cross of 2 horses, but I will try here first...

When I got this mare a little while back she was already 8 years old and had never been handled much at all...... I have put lots and lots of miles on her since I started her. I've used her alot moving cows and bucking bulls around the ranch, I have started her on barrels and hauled her to shows to get her out- I was planning on getting her to some exhibitions this summer but we ended up having to move for work in March and had to turn her back out in the pasture again until we can get settled in and get everything reorganized. She's 11 or 12 years old now and Ive been thinking of getting a nice little barrel prospect out of her rather than trying to get her going so late.

She is straight cow bred, but I am still waiting on the papers from the original owners so I can see exactly what is on them-- I am not breeding her until I get them. Until then, I am looking at stallions that would cross well based on THEIR conformation and lineage. The guy I have really been eyeballing is "Aint Seen Nothin Yet". There are just so many running/barrel bred stallions out there that i think my head exploded and I would really love to see if yall had any other stallions in mind ?!

Here she is, and will post a link to Aint Seen Nothin Yet

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...20724950_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...45734264_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...92295663_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...78182310_n.jpg

Aint Seen Nothin Yet: http://www.barrelhorseworld.com/hors....asp?ID=146257

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1477149_n.jpg

BubblesBlue 05-30-2012 02:16 PM

Aiyee. The link doesn't work. D: I would love to help you... I've come to find that cowbred horses are the best barrel horses.

Piaffe 05-30-2012 02:17 PM

They are both absolutely gorgeous...I can't be of much help as far as QH critiquing though :) I love your mare's color and chrome!

BlondeHorse 05-30-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblesBlue (Post 1524093)
Aiyee. The link doesn't work. D: I would love to help you... I've come to find that cowbred horses are the best barrel horses.

Oh I'm glad you caught that! I think I have it fixed now.
I agree, I LOVE cow bred horses for barrels, or even cow crossed on run which is what I'm thinking of doing.

DrumRunner 05-30-2012 02:22 PM

While I do like the stallion's bloodlines and he is a handsome guy. He's only 4..that's still really young...He hasn't had any foals preform yet.. I would only breed to a proven horse who also has offspring who are starting out and performing really well...That said, I'm not sure of your mare's bloodlines yet so I won't say anything about her as far as that goes, but she isn't proven in anyway.. Is she registered with APHA? If so, you won't be able to register the foal with APHA or AQHA..

I understand why many people want a foal or prospect, but there are already SO many foals and young propects out there that you can buy that are exactly what you are looking for. It's safer, more exact, can be from already proven bloodlines, the whole deal.. I would suggest buying a foal or prospect that exactly meets your needs and wants.

Cow and running bred horses are my favorite also, but there is a lot more to breeding than just picking two horses and hoping for a nice foal..

BubblesBlue 05-30-2012 02:24 PM

You are going to have one big hipped baby if you breed those two together. :lol: They are both absolutely gorgeous and will be an amazing mix. Go for it, if you think you are ready for it.

BlondeHorse 05-30-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1524107)
While I do like the stallion's bloodlines and he is a handsome guy..He hasn't had any foals preform yet.. I would only breed to a proven horse who also has offspring who are starting out and performing really well...That said, I'm not sure of your mare's bloodlines yet so I won't say anything about her as far as that goes, but she isn't proven in anyway.. Is she registered as a paint horse? If so, you won't be able to register the foal with APHA or AQHA..

I understand why many people want a foal or prospect, but there are already SO many foals and young propects out there that you can buy that are exactly what you are looking for. It's safer, more exact, can be from already proven bloodlines, the whole deal.. I would suggest buying a foal or prospect that exactly meets your needs and wants.

Thank you.

The way I was looking at it, there are many breeders getting foal crops every year sired by a super nice proven stallion, and out of some of the ugliest band of mares that don't even look all that great-- the only thing they have going for them is a nice set of papers. Lots of them have been booted to be a "broodmare" after never even being saddled due to an injury as a youngster. Tons and tons of those foals that have a super nice sire and a "so-so" dam are sold for $1500+ and go on to be successful in the barrel arenas and roping pens.

My mare is put together nicer than a LOT of AQHA/APHA broodmares, has what is said to be an extremely nice set of papers (we will see) that will be in my possession soon, has worked nice enough for me that I believe she would potentially be an outstanding barrel horse. However she is already 12 years old which by no means is too late to get her going, but by the time I had her seasoned and truely finished out I would only have a few years left to compete before she started on her down hill side. So why not breed for one baby out of HER particularly, that I could do all those same things with and also have a much earlier start. In my eyes, and in the eyes of quite a few others, she is way way way too nice to just sit out in the pasture and not do anything. I think she would make a perfect candidate for a breeding to a nice running bred stallion. That is the hard part though, is picking one that would be the absolute best for her. Which is why I came here!

BlueSpark 05-30-2012 02:54 PM

I beg to disagree. She is hideous. I however, am very generous and volenteer to take her off your hands... Just kidding :)

If you are set on breeding, go ahead, but it is easier, cheaper, quicker and less stressful to buy, plus you can pick and choose instead of praying you dont get a big headed, clumsy, crazy sorrel foal instead of the talented, well built, colored baby you hoped for.

DrumRunner 05-30-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlondeHorse (Post 1524151)
The way I was looking at it, there are many breeders getting foal crops every year sired by a super nice proven stallion, and out of some of the ugliest band of mares that don't even look all that great

Good looks do NOT make a good horse.. You may have the prettiest barrel horse ever but the ugly horse with great backing and talent will beat your pretty horse every time.

I understand you wanting to breed her.. Truly I do.. But there are way too many horses out there already that are better or can produce better than your mare. She is a very nice looking mare and she's built well..But looks aren't everything, conformation isn't everything, and you wanting a nice foal out of her will not make is a nice foal.. She hasn't done anything in her lifetime that screams "I need to be bred, I will produce a nice prospect"..She may pass on nothing but pretty, and even that's not guaranteed.. Then if she is registered with APHA you will not be able to register the foal with APHA or AQHA if you breed her to a Quarter Horse.. It will be a grade foal out of two unproven horses..

Honestly, take a step back and look at it through another's point of view.. If you were looking to buy a new prospect and came across this "would be" foal.. You would have a MAYBE nice looking grade foal, that came from two unproven horses...You'd keep looking wouldn't you?..I know I would.. and there is NO way to tell that you will be able to keep the foal it's entire life.. When breeding you want to think of the foal first, you want to give it the absolute best chance at life..The registered foal from two proven horses, great bloodlines, great looks, and the possibility of having the skills of the parents will sale WAY before the grade foal who may have potential.. Then there is also the other risks you're taking.. Are you prepared for the possibility that your mare may die whole foaling? The foal may die also.. Are you prepared to deal with complications? Vet bills? If the mare dies can you take 100% responsibility for the foal like feeding and such.. and in another thread of your's you have already had a foal last year and you're already having problems caused by neighbors coming onto the property and starting bad habits with the foal you already have.

I just don't think you're thinking about all of the facts of breeding.. It isn't just breeding two horses and hoping for a pretty baby.. Right now, at best from your mare and that stallion you're hoping for a pretty grade foal that may have the possibility of having good traits..That's it.

dbarabians 05-30-2012 03:08 PM

I think they would cross well together. From what I can see they have similar builds. That is good.
I would like to see her bloodlines I am curious about them. Shalom