The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I think his age is starting to show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-think-his-age-starting-show-125228/)

busysmurf 05-30-2012 02:17 PM

I think his age is starting to show

Probably going to have to call the vet for old man Odie:( Just got a call that he's not putting weight on his RF. I went from having to call the vet 3 x's in 20 yrs (except for shots & teeth). This will make it 4 x's in the last year. Sigh, I don't want him getting old:(
Posted via Mobile Device

cowboy bowhunter 05-30-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busysmurf (Post 1524094)
Probably going to have to call the vet for old man Odie:( Just got a call that he's not putting weight on his RF. I went from having to call the vet 3 x's in 20 yrs (except for shots & teeth). This will make it 4 x's in the last year. Sigh, I don't want him getting old:(
Posted via Mobile Device

It sucks to do but sometimes it is better for the horse to do.

Country Woman 05-30-2012 02:27 PM

I am sorry to hear this

xJumperx 05-30-2012 10:52 PM

Our hearts follow you <3 Its always hard. I don't know how you feel, so I wont tell you that I do. God bless you and Odie. :)

busysmurf 05-31-2012 09:52 AM

Had the vet out last night, and as far as she could tell he either got kicked in the conective tissue above his elbow or possibly has an absess. The ferrier is scheduled to come out today, so he'll look into the absess (I don't think that's the cause). Weird thing is, he's not swollen anywhere and not really tender. I know that he's been laying down a lot to get the weight off his other 3 legs (he has bad arthritis in his hind end). He is starting to limp on the back leg where the arthritis has always been the worst.

So for now it's twice daily Bute, a cold hose on the legs & shoulder, & stall rest.

palominolover 05-31-2012 06:51 PM

It sucks when they get old and deteriorate :(. I'm so sorry for you, I hope he turns out okay.