The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   bucking while jumping - HELP (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/bucking-while-jumping-help-125233/)

GeorgiaAndFelix 05-30-2012 03:22 PM

bucking while jumping - HELP

So , i have a 16.2hh hanoverian gelding called felix , in canter he can buck sometimes and sometimes her doesnt , but when i jump , he bucks constantly up to it if it is more than say 3ft high. When i do grids he is fine but when it is a single jump he bucks and is very strong too and he can sometimes knock it as he is going so fast. Any ideas that could help with his bucking and tanking off problem , any ideas will be much apreaciated :)

Fingerlakes 05-31-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaAndFelix (Post 1524241)
So , i have a 16.2hh hanoverian gelding called felix , in canter he can buck sometimes and sometimes her doesnt , but when i jump , he bucks constantly up to it if it is more than say 3ft high. When i do grids he is fine but when it is a single jump he bucks and is very strong too and he can sometimes knock it as he is going so fast. Any ideas that could help with his bucking and tanking off problem , any ideas will be much apreaciated :)

After the jump i assume? How's your bit pressure after the jump?

GeorgiaAndFelix 05-31-2012 05:41 PM

actually mostly before, its quite odd ! , i try not to pull back as i know it will make it worse so he doesnt have a lot of pressure in his mouth.

princecharming 05-31-2012 06:56 PM

first things first....have ALL pain issues been rulled out?

gypsygirl 05-31-2012 08:17 PM

does your saddle fit ?

do you have any videos ?

tinyliny 05-31-2012 08:28 PM

To me , this would seem to indicate that he is anticipating pain with the jump. IN the grid, he may be too busy just naviagting the jumps to anticiapate the pain or buck.

xJumperx 05-31-2012 08:54 PM

Videos?

CJ82Sky 06-01-2012 12:28 PM

i'd love to hear more to be able to help. everyone here has asked wonderful questions, and before proceeding, most important is to rule out pain issues. if a horse is bucking on the approach, that tells me there is some sort of concern or anticipation of something unpleasant. check for pain, and then go from there.

MudPaint 06-02-2012 12:19 AM

Pain is the most common cause of bucking. Usually saddle pain or rider caused (snatching his mouth, sitting down to early, bumping with spurs), but with jumping you need to also consider leg pain. Have him gone over by a vet and farrier.

Does he only buck when you ride or does he also buck for others? If you lunge him or free jump him does he buck? How do you ride differently to and through a grid?